We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

Will be driving around Ottawa and want to use my own nav aid system in a rental car. Are there any Canadian laws preventing the unit mounting onto the windscreen?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

No.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,353 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

Hi

I install mine on the bottom left of windshield since my 12V cord reaches that far and the passenger does not need to look at it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

Thanks to Martian24 and cbaarach for the quick replies - greatly appreciated.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

In the old days we got pulled over for having a roach clip hanging down from the rear view mirror, that was obstruction vision. Today I see all sorts of things on dashboards and windshields that IMO obstructs views but nobody seems to care.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 14:31
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

Just don't try to use the NAV while driving, you could run into some problems with the law if you are the one operating the vehicle...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

There are actually rules now for having the GPS on the windscreen.

This may be just Quebec, but Gatineau is part of Quebecm and there are lots of things to see over there.

From the Ministry Transport in Ontario: •The screens on GPS devices may be viewed while driving, provided the device is mounted on the dashboard or secured to another place in the vehicle (for example, on a GPS windshield suction mount not blocking the driver's view, or in a GPS dashboard mount). Typically these units issue voice commands and drivers must input the required information before they start driving.

From the Quebec Laws:

The windshield shall not be tarnished, cloudy, broken in a way that reduces the driver's vision of the road or road signs. Furthermore, no object or sticker that could reduce visibility shall be hung or affixed to the windshield.

O.C. 1483-98, s. 59.

So it is all about blocking the view. If you have to put it on the windscreen it must not block the view of the driver. So putting it in the middle is not good. We used to put ours on but we now use a suction device that does on the dashboard, keeping it below the level of the windscreen. You don't want to have a fight with a Police Officer it it blocks the view or not.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

In other words Reply #1 stands - just use common sense and don't mount the GPS right in front of your face on the windshield like a complete idiot.

Cheers,

Terry

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

Thanks guys. And it's helpful having the exact wording. We were advised that there may be a problem. It's just that I don't want to fork out exorbitant fees to rent a nav aid while I have a perfectly good new one that I can use. We're driving up to Nepean from Boston over a couple of days, then mainly travelling between Nepean and Manotick over Easter.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 02:08
9. Re: Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 07:05
10. Re: Mounting car navigation system on windscreen: Issues?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 18:05