We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Montreal to Ottawa

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Montreal to Ottawa

My husband and I are staying in Montreal for a few days en route from Quebec City. We fly back to Uk on Friday and have a spare day tomorrow. Is it worth taking the bus from Montreal to Ottawa for the day. Is it easy walking from bus depot to Parliament and would you recommend any other sights to visit bearing in mind our short time there. Or should we just stay in Montreal instead.thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Montreal to Ottawa

If you are interested in our Parliamentary institutions and possibly a museum (take a look at Ottawa's TA page), I would say visit....Ottawa is great for a visit, even for just a day..

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Montreal to Ottawa

It`s about a 2 km walk from the bus depot on Catherine St to Parliament Hill on Wellington Street. Or you could walk one block east from the depot and catch the #7 bus to the Hill.

It`s supposed by sunny with a high of 12C tomorrow, so wouldn`t be a bad day to wander around after visiting parliament, including going to the top of the Peace Tour for the view. You could take a look at the Rideau locks (no water in them yet, I would think) then down Sussex Drive to the National Gallery and Notre Dame Basilica, coming back through the By Ward Market.

Whether this would be better than staying in Montreal would depend on what you would do in Montreal.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Montreal to Ottawa

If you have luggage, I wouldn't recommend walking from the bus depot to parliament hill.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Montreal to Ottawa

There is a bus stop in downtown, not too far from Parliament Hill so that might be a better option to get off the bus than wait to get to the terminal. Return yes you can walk easily all the way but might be better to take a cab.

Museums, the National Gallery is closed on Mondays while the Museum of History, just across the river in Gatineau is opened 7days / week.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
615 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Montreal to Ottawa

https://www.greyhound.ca/Express/Default.aspx

On different scheduled routes there are either one or two stops downtown. Check their website.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Montreal to Ottawa

Folks.... OP has come and gone... as per the original post their travel date was Thursday Apr 24... doubt they had much luggage on a day trip :)

england
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Montreal to Ottawa

Thanks everyone but we left it too late to ask this question so we decided to stay in Montreal for the day.

8. Re: Day trip from Montreal to Ottawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:16