We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada Day!

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Canada Day!

I am new to Canada and me and my Canadian wife are planning on visiting around Canada Day. I know it will be busy and therefore probably very expensive. Does anyone have any tips on cheap(er) places to stay and what are must dos in Ottawa? Thanks.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada Day!

I suggest you find out how expensive by going to booking.com, put in your dates and see what shows. If you find any within your price range, we may be able to comment on location or convenience to centretown.

There is a "things to do" that you can click on in the green banner at the top of this page.

As we get closer to the date, the Canadian Heritage (organizers of the Canada Day event) website will become more useful, http://www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1379430367090

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada Day!

Yes ... a $$ budget would be helpful ...

If you do a search for Canada Day in the search box above, you'll find tons of previous posts and threads on this subject - lots of info there.

Also keep a watch on the very excellent Ottawa tourism site, which amongst other things also includes stay and see packages.

http://www.ottawatourism.ca/en/

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada Day!

If you're looking to save money on a hotel for Canada Day, I suggest staying just out of downtown. You can save a fair amount of money. Many hotels are on or near the transit way so you'd be a 20 minute (max) bus ride from downtown. I never suggest driving downtown on Canada Day it is just a zoo.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
633 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada Day!

The nice thing about Canada Day is that it is all free once you are downtown. You can spend as little or as much as you want. You can brink a snack and just wander around or go to the restaurants with "Special$$$"

Canada Day pricing.

I recommend you get Parliament Hill (The Hill) about 10:00 a.m and watch the Changing of Guard, arrival of VIPs, Snowbirds flypast and the mass singing of O Canada. this is followed by a live musical show. Not the big names, they come out for the big TV show and fireworks later on.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada Day!

I would recommend to try Ottawa's vacation rentals by owner. You could also try looking at the B&B's in ottawa. Finding a hotel on the Gatineau side might be cheaper too. It's only a short can ride away to downtown.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canada Day!

Staying on the Quebec side is almost always cheaper....booking sooner than later would probably be best....have you tried using priceline?

7. Re: Canada Day!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 05:16