We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving by train

St. Catharines, ON
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving by train

Bringing my 8 year old grandson for a train ride adventure from Niagara for a couple of weeknights in July. Was thinking of the Hampton Inn due to proximity to Via station. Is it feasible to walk to the Hampton Inn from the Via station? Are there transportation alternatives (buses, etc.) to Parliament Hill area from the Hampton? Or should I just book a downtown hotel? Thanks in advance for the input.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving by train

I suppose it is feasible, but I wouldn`t call it comfortable or convenient. You`ll be crossing multi entrances and exits to/from the Queensway (highway 417) as well as Tremblay Road and the 8 lane Queensway itself. And there isn`t much around the Hampton Inn for people on foot. And there really isn`t anywhere to walk. The #9 bus will take you downtown in about 20 minutes.

I think you should stay downtown. I would.

St. Catharines, ON
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving by train

Thanks. I think that would be best too. Is there a bus from the train to downtown?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving by train

As RONW says, it is close... but a very awkward walk to the Hampton Inn. They are building a footbridge across the highway (which will make it infinitely easier), but it won't be open until late this year.

I would highly suggest staying downtown. Also as ronw says, there is really nothing in the vicinity of the Hampton Inn to walk to. It primarily caters to a "convention" type crowd.

From the train station, you can take buses 94, 95, or 96 directly downtown (takes about 10 minutes). Bus #9 does NOT run through the station. Taxi would cost $15-20.. depending on exactly where you are going.

St. Catharines, ON
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving by train

Thank you both. Downtown it is.

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving by train

You are correct. the Hampton inn is super close to the train station. Its very modern, clean and comfortable. That being said, besides the train station it isn't in walking distance to anything exciting. I would recommend hopping on a city bus. http://www.octranspo.com

It should be one bus from there to downtown. Get a downtown hotel. You'll be walking to a lot of places right? downtown Ottawa is not very big and a lot of the attractions are downtown and are in general walking distance to each other.

St. Catharines, ON
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving by train

Thank you. We have booked Albert at Bay

7. Re: Arriving by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:15