We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada Day/ assorted questions

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Canada Day/ assorted questions

Do any of the museums/ or any other tourist site that has an admission fee, offer free admission on Canada Day?

I also saw the topic referencing the free parking lot on weekends...are any of the other lots/ street parking free on Canada Day?

I just booked a room at the Courtyard Ottawa East (used Marriott points)....are there any good places to eat around there (walking distance)?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada Day/ assorted questions

I`ll answer your 3rd question. There are no restaurants in the immediate vicinity. It`s close to 2 km to the St Laurent Shopping Centre, which has a food court and an East Side Mario`s. Across the street from the Shopping Centre is a Perkins and a Pipers Bar & Grill (formerly a Rockin` Johnny`s Diner). Up St Laurent a couple of hundred metres is a Boston Pizza. The walking issue is that Coventry Road, which you would take to get to these places, is not particularly pedestrian friendly - I`m not even sure it has sidewalks all the way. Coventry is a bumpy, pot-hole filled road that tends to grow large puddles (small lakes?) when it rains.

As to your question 1, I don`t know but I imagine their websites would tell you.

I don`t know about free parking either, but if I was going downtown that day, I`d take the bus. Route 9, 20 minutes from your hotel.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada Day/ assorted questions

Concerning question 1, yes some museums are free. See the following link for activities:

canadaday.gc.ca/eng/…1399993301625

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada Day/ assorted questions

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada Day/ assorted questions

Take the bus for sure - unless to drive to a "park and ride" then bus from there. You could easily drive to St. Laurent Shopping Center where there is easy bus access to downton.

Many streets are closed for a number of blocks around the downtown core on Canada Day, making driving/parking difficult. The day starts with a few road closures, and they expand as the day goes on I believe.

It's a great atmosphere downtown on Canada Day - enjoy!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada Day/ assorted questions

National parks and historic sites are free on Canada Day...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canada Day/ assorted questions

With regards to restaurants, there are a few restaurants at the Trainyards (a shopping area) nearby but not near enough to walk, but a 5 minute drive.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canada Day/ assorted questions

Regarding restaurants....I'm more concerned with starting off with a good breakfast. Since I posted my questions, and looking around the local area, it seems kind of barren of eateries, other than a Starbucks, and the mall. If I have to drive to a breakfast spot, I would prefer to go away from downtown to avoid traffic.....with that said, any place in the vicinity to get a decent "American Style" breakfast?

If I were to drive to the mall and take a bus downtown, what would be the bus fare? Is there a discount for kids (ages 17 and 14). In the end, I do not care if I have to drive into the city....just looking for the most affordable option, be it taxi, or parking the car.

On a side note, I see that the Rainbow café still has it's "blues jam" on Sunday....I played there back in 1990 (my last time in Ottawa), and it was a very nice experience....has anyone been there lately.....I was thinking about bringing along my guitar.

To all, thanks for the info!

Edited: 19 June 2014, 13:48
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canada Day/ assorted questions

See OCTranspo for fare and schedule info:

http://www.octranspo1.com/?from=splash

In Canada we have "Canadian" style breakfasts ... :)

Edited: 19 June 2014, 14:22
Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canada Day/ assorted questions

phpr, would a "Canadian" style breakfast include Canadian bacon;-D

As for public transportation...it is a bit confusing....leaving from St- Laurent it appears that Rt 95 bus goes downtown without the need of transfers, correct?....and what is the "O" train.

As for parking at St-Laurent, can I just leave the car at the mall and not pay any parking fee?

Sorry for all the questions....but thanks for the help.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canada Day/ assorted questions

Quite possibly it would ... and there would be real maple syrup ... not that American table syrup.

The O train is LRT - see the website:

http://www.octranspo1.com/routes/o-train

Transfer info from website:

octranspo1.com/tickets-and-passes/transfers

Note Canada Day service info:

www.octranspo1.com/routes/canada_day_service