We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LCBO or Winery on the Island ? ?

Ontario
1 post
Save Topic
LCBO or Winery on the Island ? ?

Can another advise if there is still an LCBO on Pelee Island ? ?

Some years ago there was one adjacant to the Picnic area, where the BBQ'a are located.

Any information will be Great, as a Summer Trip is being Considered for about 8 Adults.

Rgds...Gord

dalziel@kwic.com

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LCBO or Winery on the Island ? ?

Hi Gord,

Check back through some past posts for info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155007-i9771-k731…

The Pelee Island Winery is actually located in Kingsville:

http://www.peleeisland.com/

Here's an article from the New York Times from a few years back, if you're interested. I'd say it's more of a birder's paradise than anything else, so if that's what interests you, you will love it.

http://tinyurl.com/yp3umj

Hope that helps.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LCBO or Winery on the Island ? ?

And its really only a 'birders paradise' for about 8 weeks from April into early June.

In summer the biting flies can be horrific.

Jerry

Leamington, Ontario
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LCBO or Winery on the Island ? ?

Hi Woodsoutback,

I can assure that there is still an LCBO on Pelee Island. I believe it's located on the North End of the island in a small temporary building across from the Scudder. I'm not sure if they are going to be moving it again though.

And of course the winery is still on the island. This is our favourite place to spend our Saturday afternoon on the island.

Hope you have a great time.

Leamington, Ontario
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LCBO or Winery on the Island ? ?

Woodsoutback

As for the comments above concerning "it's really only a birder's paradise", I wouldn't be too concerned. While there isn't a lot to see on the island that you can see in a few days, there's still lots to do; a museum, nature trails, small shops, the winery, the beach (East Beach is the best; we've never had problems with flies there), biking. I strongly recommend taking your car over. You miss out on a lot if you don't.

We visit the island often (the in-laws have a trailer there) and enjoy its relaxing atmosphere.

There's an excellent place to get great coffee, fresh baked goods, sandwiches, etc. I can't remember what is called, but it's located just passed the Anchor and Wheel (north side of the island). We walk over every morning for a coffee.

There are a few shops on the island as well. If you are taking the fairy over, be sure to grab a map of the island that shows all the places to visit on the island.

San Francisco
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: LCBO or Winery on the Island ? ?

woodsoutback,

Hope your plans for a summer trip to Pelee are taking shape. I've been a summer resident on Pelee for 27 years, and it's my favorite place on earth!

To correct previous posts, there is both an LCBO and Winery on the island. Both are located on the WEST side of the island.

The LCBO is just steps from the West Dock. It's closed on Sundays and Wednesdays.

The Winery is a 15-minute walk south on West Shore Road. There are BBQs and picnic tables on the grounds. They sell burgers (including some wild game varieties) and sausages for cooking onsite. The Winery is open for tours and tastings every day of the week.

The west side of the island also has a restaurant/tavern, 2 motels, a few bed & breakfasts, a few little shops, the Island's Art Works shop, the Heritage Centre, and a summer theatre.

Enjoy your trip!!

Kate

London, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LCBO or Winery on the Island ? ?

If it's wine you are looking for there are several wineries in the area and one on the island too.

see http://winesofontario.org/ and click lake erie and pelee island wine route...

Kingsville
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: LCBO or Winery on the Island ? ?

There is an LCBO open with regular hours 519-724-2961 and the Winery Sells wine by the bottle. There is a large boat the runs from either Leamington Ontario or Kingsville Ontario depending on the time of year. The two towns are only 10 minutes apart.

I love Pelee Island, very relaxed environment, everyone is friendly. If you are driving a vehicle be prepared to wave at other drivers as you pass... aka: The Island Wave

There is 3 bars on the whole Island, and usually only police on big weekends.

Michael Breault.

8. Re: LCBO or Winery on the Island ? ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Pelee Island
More Pelee Island Topics