We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to go in Soo

Which Sault Ste. Marie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Topic
Places to go in Soo

Hi Everyone,

I am in Soo since last Sunday on some office assignment and am plannig to be here for the next couple of weeks. I need your help in planning where all can I go in Soo. Aso what is the best mode to go to Niagara (In terms of money).

As this is my first trip to Canada, so I want to make out the most out of it. Would appreciate any suggestion.

Regards,

Amme

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,694 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to go in Soo

Hi Amme;

Niagara Falls is approx. 500 miles / 800 km from the Soo. I would suggest looking at Greyhound.ca for coach bus service, and ViaRail.ca for passenger train service.

You will need to make your way to Toronto first, and then transfer to another bus or train to Niagara Falls.

From Toronto, your transportation options are;

1. take a VIA Rail train, but limited number of trains between the two cities. www.viarail.ca

2. take a bus, frequent service. www.greyhound.ca or www.coachcanada.com

3. take a combination of GO Transit train & bus.

gotransit.com/public/…seasonal.aspx

Best Regards

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
308 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to go in Soo

Welcome to the SSM Forum Amme85:

Sault Ste. Marie has an abundance of outdoor activities such as camping, fishing and hiking. In town we have Hiawatha Park, the Board Walk and the Hub Trail to get out and explore.

Depending on how long you are in town for, you might also be lucky enough to catch the fall colours. People travel from all over the world to catch this sight which is only available for a few weeks in the fall. You can enjoy this by car, or the Agawa Tour Train or by helicopter, which I have attached a link.

http://www.eaglefeatherav.com/

In addition we have the Bushplane Museum, the SSM Museum, the Old Stone House and the Art Gallery of Algoma to name a few sights. Awesome restaurants can be found in the Queen Street area and up on Great Northern Road.

You didn' t mention what your interests are so if you let me know I might be able to give you more details. In the meantime I have provided you with the SSM Tourism link which details activities that are available in our beautiful city.

http://www.saulttourism.com/

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to go in Soo

Hi Rescueteam;

Thanks for your response. I think there is no rail service from Soo to Toronto. Right? We have Bus or flight as the only options. Any idea on the estimated fare buses here charge to take to toronto?

Thanks again,

Amme

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to go in Soo

Hey Leannecanada;

Appreciate your response as well. I am here for the next 1 or 2 months i guess. So yes I would be able to enjoy the fall season.

I might be interested in venturing out new places. Is there any nearby cities as well which I can explore? Any good shopping place?

Thanks!!

Amme

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
308 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to go in Soo

That is correct Amme 85 there is no rail service, the closest place to catch the train is Sudbury which is 3 hours away. The bus ticket has different categories and ranges from $66 to $150.

Here is the link to check out the fares. www.greyhound.ca/ticketcenter/en/Step4.asp

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
308 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to go in Soo

We have five shopping malls in the city, Station Mall, Cambrian Mall, Wellington Square Mall, Churchill Plaza and Market Mall along with a Big Box section at the north end of the city. Being a border town many people also drive to the U.S. to shop across the border in places like Soo Mich, Traverse City or Birch Run.

The closest Canadian city to us is Sudbury to the east and Thunder Bay to the northwest which is about 7 hours away. There are little towns dotted along the way between the larger urban centers. Northern Ontario is sparsely populated compared to the southern part of the province. The only other city in Northern Ontario would be North Bay, which is at the far eastern end, so to answer your question there are no nearby Canadian cities to visit, but we are in proximity to some larger metropolitan areas in the United States.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,694 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to go in Soo

Hi Amme;

Sorry about that. You are correct, that VIA Rail does NOT serve the Soo.

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to go in Soo

Hi Amme85,

Welcome to the SAULT STE. MARIE TRAVEL FORUM

And I see that you are a Brand NEW Member of TripAdvisor… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Remember that this is a twin city… “The Sault” Canada sits directly across the Border from “The Soo” USA.

You can find a good lot of things to do there as well. One of the big draws being the Locks that link Lake Superior to the rest of the Great Lakes… watching the giant ocean going Ships and Lakers intransit can be quite interesting.

For more info on Sault Ste Marie USA… you’ll want to check out their TRAVEL PAGES and TRAVEL FORUM here on TA… where their Local Advisors & Destination Experts can make suggestions as well…

TA – SAULT STE MARIE – USA (Tourism) = tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g42684-Sault_Sainte_…

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to go in Soo

Hi,

Thanks a lot to all of you!

I believe i've a lot of information to work upon now. Would browse all the links provided by you and see how much of it can I make out.

Anyways thanks again would get back to you all if needed some more help :)

Regards,

Amme

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to go in Soo

Hi Amme85,

You are very welcome... glad to help.

And yes... don't be shy... come back to the FORUM if you need more info.

Do have a nice extended visit to Sault Ste Marie (lol, both of them)

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... And YES you absolutely want to check out the Leaf Tours that LEEANNECANADA referenced in Reply # 2... The Agawa Fall Train is a real charmer !!