We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay one night in the SSM on east side

Which Sault Ste. Marie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
221 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay one night in the SSM on east side

I am traveling from northern Michigan into Canada for a journey through Ontario. I will need a place to stay my first night in or near SSM--preferably on the east side of town. I will check TA but wondered if anyone had any ideas. I am traveling with my dog and just looking for something not too expensive and within walking distance to a restaurant. Thanks!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
571 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay one night in the SSM on east side

There are a few small motels on the East side, but none are near any restaurants. But After you cross the bridge, the route you take along Bay St. through downtown has several hotels that are near good food. The ones that list pets allowed are the Sleep Inn, Days Inn, Delta, and Travelodge. These are all directly on your route, and near each other. They are all nice enough (Delta is nicest, but likely most expensive).

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
221 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay one night in the SSM on east side

Thanks for your reply! I will be heading to Manitoulin Island to spend 3 nights and thought it might be a good idea to get further down the road so my drive the next day isn't so long. I'm thinking it's probably not very populated along that route once I leave SSM--is that right? I will base my decision on what time I arrive in SSM and if I feel like I want to keep driving. It looks like the Sleep Inn might be a good bet if I stay in SSM. If I decide to keep heading east will I find any places to stay along that route? Any little towns? I did read on TA that the Pinegrove Motel is decent although I don't know if that gets me much further out of town. I'll need to map it. Any ideas are appreciated!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
571 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay one night in the SSM on east side

There are small towns, and several motels along the way. I can't say I have stayed at any of them. Caroline Beach in Thessalon is nice, and just under an hour from the Soo. The Pinegrove is on the edge of town, and is about ten minutes from the border. It is a cute little motel though. But not near any restaurants. But bear in mind that you will be driving past dozens through town, and the Husky gas station (very close) has a good breakfast.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
221 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay one night in the SSM on east side

Thank you--very helpful. It's great to have some ideas in case I decide to keep traveling!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
571 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay one night in the SSM on east side

Enjoy you trip!

6. Re: Place to stay one night in the SSM on east side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 01:19