We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip to Chicago

Which Sault Ste. Marie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
607 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip to Chicago

Hi all! My husband and I are travelling to Chicago from Midland ON for the first week of September. We are staying in Tobermory on the Friday of the Labour Day weekend and taking Chi Chimaun across to Manitoulin and continuing on to Sault St Marie on Saturday.

I have a couple of questions:

Should we attempt to cross the border on the Saturday evening? We would probably hit the Soo around 7-ish.

If yes, should we continue down as far as St-Ignace and stay there for Saturday or stay in the US Soo?

Keeping in mind that it's Labour Day weekend, is there a chance to get a decent hotel (walk-in or short notice) for just one night in either location? What I'm seeing is a lot of two night minimums if I book ahead...

If no, where is a good place to stay on the Canadian side and what time would you recommend that we leave to cross the border on the Sunday morning? We would like to hit Duty Free before crossing regardless of whether we cross Saturday evening or Sunday.

Most of our trip is focused on actually getting to Chicago no later than Tuesday, however I don't want to miss everything along the way. I've researched the sights and we are going to have to forego most of the Canadian side (saved for another road trip) as well as the UP (again, a different trip). Can you recommend anything that we just have to see without going too far out of the way?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip to Chicago

If it's not too much, I'd try and get on the American side because it's cheaper to stay in the US almost for sure...

2. Re: Road trip to Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 14:16