We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,671 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

On our upcoming trip to Stratford we will have time for one dinner after a Sunday matinee at the Fesitval Theater.

I've read through some menus, and places like The Church/Belfry and Old Prune look lovely but their menus are fancier and fussier than what I like.

A few menus that caught my eye were Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn and Trattoria Fabrizio. Is anyone familiar with these spots? Or do you have other recommendations for something on the more casual side of fine dining?

Thanks,

Voy

Edited: 19 June 2010, 14:22
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

I recommend The Sun Room on George Street. Give yourself plenty of time if you are planning to attend a play or other show.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

Hi Voy~

I haven't dined at any of those you mentioned, but we like Pazzo's downstairs for casual Italian. Always good and the wood fired pizzas are great.

http://www.pazzo.ca/ (pizzeria not ristorante)

For casual pub food and a fun atmosphere we like Bentley's..

http://www.bentleys-annex.com/

The Sun Room was good but we found it to be more "home cooking" than I enjoy when dining out.....though it was very welcoming and friendly.

As well there's~

Down the Street http://www.downthestreet.ca/

and

Keystone Alley Cafe http://www.keystonealley.com/

Check carefully since some restaurants may not be open on Sunday.....

If you go with Rene's Bistro (which does sound great) then please let us know how you got on.

If it's anything like the Stone Road Grille in Niagara on the Lake then I will become a regular! :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

Hi Voyagereuse,

Welcome to the STRATFORD TRAVEL FORUM.

Have to agree with my colleague TOBIE... we've had great success with Bentleys... don't let the "pub" like presentation fool you.

They have everything from regular pub-fare to a bit more upscale (Grilled Salmon etc). Service is excellent, Friendly & Quick... something one appreciates if trying to get dinner in BEFORE a performance. Prices are reasonable.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,671 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

Thanks so much for all the tips. I will bring a printout of this page with us. We're going to a Sunday matinee and will be eating afterwards. Not going to make a reservation, I think we'll play it by ear. We have a lot of good things to choose from now because of your help.

Thanks!

Voy

P.S. A trip report will follow when we get back, sometime mid-July.

Edited: 25 June 2010, 13:39
Indiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

Hi, Voy. My wife and I are regular visitors to Stratford and have eaten at both the Trattoria and Foster's. Both of those places are going to give you a good meal, so you can't really gvo wrong. If you are looking for a good steak, Foster's will deliver. Trattoria is good, home-style unpretentious Italian. Personally, I like Trattoria for lunch. The desserts there are a gem.

If you like Italian, let me suggest Fellini's. It's on Ontario Street, and it is simply superb. Very reasonably priced. It's our favorite Stratford restaurant.

Have a great trip!

Paul Swanson

Mount Vernon, Indiana

U.S.A.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,671 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

Thanks for the feedback (no pun intended) Paul!

I'll keep Fellini's in mind too!

Voy

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

I've been having a hard time finding Foster's as a restaurant as opposed to an Inn or Hotel on this site. I had dinner at Foster's last week. The prices are somewhat high, but the food (I had the signature steak) is very good. However, the air conditioning on a very hot day was not adequate to make me feel comfortable, and there was a door opening and closing very loudly as well as a large number of flies. I have enjoyed Fellini's, and I like the Waterlot Restaurant in nearby New Hamburg. Check for opening times.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

P. S. I have never eaten at Trattoria Fabrizio, so take this with a grain of salt. Compared to Fellini's and Rene's and Foster's, Trattoria Fabrizio is a very modest restaurant, not recently updated or remodeled. The food and service may be good, but it's a little farther away from the Theatre, like a block or so, and it looks "basic."

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

While we're on the subject, anyone been to Down the Street? Tobie? Anyone else? It's next on my list to try in Stratford (what? not Rundles??), and I'm curious.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rene's Bistro, Foster's Inn, Trattroria Fabrizio?

Oh, you had to mention it didn't you estragon. ;)

It's been a few years since I last tried Down the Street. Casual bistro with good food, but found the tables rather close together so it depends on who your guests are. Would definitely try again though and it's supposed to be a reliable hangout for locals, so must still be quite decent.

We're trying Rene's Bistro Thursday based on suggestions here since it's one I haven't been to yet. The Annex Room was also recommended to me by a local but that's for next time. :)

http://www.annexroom.com/index.html

Not particularly crazy about Fellini's so I hope Rene's is a step above that....We had a fabulous dinner at the Belfry in May but always ready to try something else.

Get answers to your questions about Stratford