We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SSM to Toronto via Sudbury?

Which Sudbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Napa, California
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
SSM to Toronto via Sudbury?

Driving cross country and debating between going to Toronto by way of Sault St. Marie and along the north shore of Lake Huron OR turning south and going down I-75 to Buffalo. Niagara Falls is our destination. Coming from So. Dakota- figured we'd turn north and head toward Minneapolis, then east along the northern Michigan Peninsula. How are the roads from SSM to Sudbury and on to Toronto and is it scenic? Any help appreciated.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SSM to Toronto via Sudbury?

Mike

I've driven those routes you're considering. If you do take I75, you'll want to cross into Canada at Port Huron/Sarnia.

Hwy 17 (TransCanada Hwy) along the north shore of Lake Huron is not generally a 4 lane hiway. Then, south of Sudbury, there's construction. The Cdn route is scenic to some extent.

Some people like the route through USA if stopping at www.mackinac.com

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
564 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SSM to Toronto via Sudbury?

I would do the north shore. It's pretty scenic and a nice drive. It might be a bit longer of a drive but I like it. The highway is good between the Sault and Sudbury - most of it has been redone in the past couple of years. It would be a nice relaxing drive and I almost always see wildlife.

69 South from Sudbury to Toronto is almost all 4 laned now. It takes about 3.5 - 4 hours from Sudbury to Toronto. It is scenic...there are a few nice places to stop such as the French River (about 45 min south of Sudbury). If you are driving in the fall it will definitely be pretty with all the changing leaves and beautiful fall colours.

3. Re: SSM to Toronto via Sudbury?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Sudbury
Recent Conversations