We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minneapolis - Sudbury Ontario by car

Which Sudbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Minneapolis - Sudbury Ontario by car

I am thnking about driving this route, however, not sure about best one. Some suggest going via Ashland and drive by Lake Superior.

It looks like going trough WI , Rhinelander and Escanaba is shorter trip. Any suggestions ?

I'll cross the border on Friday, Labor Day weekend. How busy the custom can be ?

Thanks

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
570 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minneapolis - Sudbury Ontario by car

I live in Sault Ste. Marie, where you will be crossing the border. Both routes are similar, with the Northern route being a little more scenic, and less busy. The southern route may be a bit faster. If you hit the border on the Friday of Labour day holiday (esp. late afternoon) it will take up to an hour. Possibly less, but I would do anything I could to avoid that time. If you need any other advice feel free to PM me.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minneapolis - Sudbury Ontario by car

Hi, you might also want to ask in the Wisconsin forum to try to get some comments from those who are familiar with the Rhinelander- Escanaba option:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g28972-i114-Wiscons…

Good luck with your plans!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Minneapolis - Sudbury Ontario by car

Thanks, one hour is not bad for border crossing. Any idea how much the drive can take ? I found that millage is between 400-500 on few sites. Any guess about one via Rhinelander and Escanaba.

4. Re: Minneapolis - Sudbury Ontario by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Sudbury
Recent Conversations