We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting on train to Winnipeg at Sudbury Junction

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Getting on train to Winnipeg at Sudbury Junction

I'm trying to plan our holiday for next summer and would like to go to Manitoulin island and then travel to Winnipeg. I'm looking at flying from Toronto to Sudbury and hiring a car to travel to the island. The train to Winnipeg stops at Sudbury Junction at 5.30am and it appears that the station is not central. We would have to return the car on the previous day and stay, hopefully, near to the station. Is this possible? Are there hotels near the station and would there be taxis to take us to the station? I'd appreciate help from locals.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,181 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting on train to Winnipeg at Sudbury Junction

I'm not sure if we have any Sudbury-area posters on the forums, and while I have no personal experience with the Sudbury Junction VIA station, I hope the following might be helpful Here is a link to a google streetview and satellite view of it. http://goo.gl/maps/nkKZX It appears that the immediate surrounding area is industrial. Perhaps you can use the google map to find the location of the nearest hotel? VIA's webpage for the station mentions it is 10 km from downtown Sudbury, and that there are no ticket sales on site. viarail.ca/en/embedded/station/detail/SUDJ…

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting on train to Winnipeg at Sudbury Junction

Also not from Sudbury but know it well. Suggest staying at Fairfield Inn & Suites Sudbury at Kingsway and Barry Downes. It's 5 km from the station and you should be able to get a cab.

Note: that the location of the station on the Google link on the Via website is not correct, as shown on link in post #1 which shows the correct location in the streetview.

Info for station viarail.ca/en/…sudbury-jct

Edited: 22 October 2013, 19:43
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting on train to Winnipeg at Sudbury Junction

Route to station from hotel

http://goo.gl/maps/0Ewsy

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting on train to Winnipeg at Sudbury Junction

Thanks to all for your help. Still in the planning stage but the links are very useful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting on train to Winnipeg at Sudbury Junction

Toronto to Sudbury is only a four hour drive, I'd think the cost of renting a car or the train even to Sudbury would be significantly cheaper and not that much longer after you consider the need to show up at the airport an hour early, etc....

6. Re: Getting on train to Winnipeg at Sudbury Junction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Sudbury
Recent Conversations