We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local help needed

scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
local help needed

i am travelling from edmonton to barrie in july with my husband and 3 kids. we need to do it in 5/6 days. i have planed a route but would love some advice. we plan to go from winniepeg to thunder bay in a day. does anyone know off any hotel/motel or b&b's that can put 5 people up in one room? something in a quite location & clean.i'm posting route plans on other forums to see if local people can help. all help recieved with many thanks

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local help needed

Hi samantha~

Most locals probably don't have any need to use a motel/inn so it's often occasional travellers who can give you the best advice. :)

If you look at the reviews for Thunder Bay and the hotel descriptions, there are a few properties that offer "suites" which usually means they can accommodate more than 4 people.

The Days Inn Suites are one:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g155017-d265…

For a random date, here is the information:

1 Queen Bed Room Best Available Rate

Nonsmk Suite/1 Queen Bed/2 Sofa Beds /Coffee Mkr/Iron/Board/Fridge/Micro/ Free Hi-Speed/Cont Breakfast

Occupancy: 6 people max

Per Room/Night

Thu. 06/11/09 CAD 149.00

1 night (1 Room): CAD 149.00

Taxes: CAD 14.90

* Total: CAD 163.90

Reserve

I might suggest that for any of your stops along the route from Edmonton to Barrie, this method of finding a hotel/motel would probably be reliable.

For sights and best suggestions for dining etc, you can probably rely on more information from TA forum contributors or things already posted like this:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g155017-Activiti…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g155017-Thunder_…

We have done this drive from Calgary and Edmonton to Toronto several times, but never with kids. Even though yours are very keen on making the journey, the roadside attraction link you posted in another thread includes lots of things that are off the beaten path (not main highways) and in the case of our city, some no longer exist. I would focus a little more on recent information on TA for any of the destinations you plan to visit or you may all find the "treasure hunt" a little frustrating.

Hope that helps with your search. :)

Mentioned in this post
Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay District, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Barrie
Barrie
Ontario, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local help needed

Hi

You could try the Best Western Nor'wester Hotel. It is more like a resort than an hotel and is about 10 minutes outside of Thunder Bay so the area is a little quieter than staying right in the city. They have rooms with two double beds and perhaps you could ask if they would put a cot in the room as well. You could also try the Victoria Inn (which has a waterslide) however it is located on a very busy road but close to lots of restaurants and a small mall (Thunder Bay Marketplace). It is also very close to Hwy 11/17 for you to continue your journey.

Mentioned in this post
Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay District, Canada
3. Re: local help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 08:19