We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunder Bay v Sault Ste Marie

Which Thunder Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thunder Bay v Sault Ste Marie

I am on my way to Toronto... I can either have one night in Thunder Bay, and two in Sault Ste Marie... or the other way around. What do you recommend? Which is most satisfying to look around at for a day? Any suggestions?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunder Bay v Sault Ste Marie

It's a big drive in between the two, I think that alone would encourage me to look at splitting up the drive....

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,207 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thunder Bay v Sault Ste Marie

Thunder Bay is larger than the Soo...so more things to do there: Thunder Bay Art Gallery, active arts scene, Harbour cruise, Sleeping Giant, the Hoito, etc.

Realize though that neither are large cities. The drive between the two is spectacular in many places.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thunder Bay v Sault Ste Marie

I've driven that route many times and it's about 8 hours, easily doable in a day.. and as PHPR mentions, it's very scenic.

Also as stated above, if you were going to stop for 2 nights, Thunder Bay would also be my choice for reasons mentioned. It certainly "feels" like a bigger city than the Soo...

ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
191 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thunder Bay v Sault Ste Marie

I would also suggest spending the extra day in Thunder Bay - not so much for what the city has to offer, great suggestions above, but the surrounding area has so much to offer the out-of-doors minded visitor. A hike on the Sleeping Giant to the lookout then off to Silver Islet (an old, old, old silver mine community on the shores of Superior). Visiting the Terry Fox lookout, drive up Mt McKay etc. Check out the link below and enjoy your stay.

http://www.thunderbay.ca/Visiting.htm

5. Re: Thunder Bay v Sault Ste Marie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 21:15