We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

Hello! I am a US citizen and I will be flying from FCO (Rome) to Detroit and changing planes in Toronto. I am very tempted by a flight that has a 1 hour and 40 minute layover in Toronto but I am concerned that will not leave enough time to clear customs and recheck my luggage. My flight from Rome will be on Air Canada and I would be flying from Toronto to Detroit on Delta. The date of travel is 5/23/17 - Tuesday arriving in Toronto at 4 pm. Any thoughts? Thank you for any input

31 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

No way. You have to do full Canadian immigration/customs formalities in Terminal 1 (including picking up your luggage), change terminals to Terminal 3, then do US Pre-clearance.

Edited: 13 February 2017, 15:47
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

The process is slow unfortunately. We flew back last year from Europe and we saw the long line for customs. Best to give at least 2 or more hours for customs.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

No way 1hr and 40min is enough time, especially landing and then flying out of different terminals.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

The only way you are going to be able to do that, assuming timely arrival into Toronto (Lester Bowles Pearson) airport, will be to have Nexus (for expedited Canadian entry) and Global Entry (for expedited U.S. preclearance - they can come as a packaged deal), and have no checked bags and have your boarding pass for the connection. Otherwise the likelihood of a misconnect is very high.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

Where are you seeing these flight two options offered for sale?

If you are just searching for the segments individually, and planning on booking them as separate tickets, then I would rethink that strategy entirely, and just book a single ticket with a protected connection. If you are seeing these two flights offered as part of a single booking, then I would run away from whoever is offering to sell such an option. Some shonky third party OTAs will cobble together individual tickets masquerading as a 'connection', and leave you stranded when you miss the flight.

If you were connecting all within Terminal 1, on a single ticket with AC, then that would be sufficient time. You'd not have to worry about picking up luggage or Canadian customs. With a terminal change, you don't stand a chance.

Toronto
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

if it is not on a single ticket in which the baggage gets directly transferred from one airline to the other without you having to recheck the baggage, you are taking a huge risk.

Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

I think the decisions is clear! I will take the 4 hour connection and have sometime for a nice dinner at the airport. Thank you all for the input!

MD
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

Would a one hour connection from one Air Canada flight to another Air Canada flight needing to go through in-transit customs, be doable? I was on a flight originally scheduled to have a four hour layover in Toronto, yet the flight was changed, and I am weighing my options.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

4everyoung, it's best to create a new thread for your question as most people won't read or come back to an old post with several answers

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport

No way!! #TorontoPearsonAirport is the worst ever airport. Worse than Indian airports

Reply to: How much time to clear customs in Toronto Pierson Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted