We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The "suite" life in Toronto

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
The "suite" life in Toronto

Our family of four (with kids ages 8 and 12) will be spending a week in Toronto this summer and we are looking for a place to hang out hat at night that gives us a little room to spread out.

We are considering:

Suites at One King West

Cambridge Suites

Pantages Suites Hotel & Spa

Can anyone give us feedback. Is this a nice place, in a good location, and does it really have spacious rooms??

We are planning on spending our time visiting Harbourfront Centre,

Royal Ontario Museum, Ontario Science Centre, Harbourfront Centre, Ontario Place, Toronto Islands, CN Tower, Rogers Centre,

Hockey Hall of Fame, and Paramount Canada’s Wonderland (just to name a few).

We truly appreciate your feedback on the properties and things that I may have missed on our list of things to do.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The "suite" life in Toronto

Gopher

Just from knowing the age of the buildings, I suspect Cambridge Suites will have larger rooms.. One King W and Pantages are much newer; I've read that 1 King W are small.

Your attraction choices are all good; I've been to them all. For the Toronto Islands, the ferry ride provides a beautiful view of the city. Either take a picnic or simply enjoy a meal there on the restaurant's large patio. I believe the rides in Centreville are geared towards your 8 yr old.

Wonderland is a full day. Ontario Science Ctr is both fun and educational. Hockey is played at the Air Canada Ctr during the winter - but you may still want to do a tour of the building. ACC is used for both hockey and basketball; I believe both you and your children would enjoy that tour.

Toronto
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The "suite" life in Toronto

I agree with the comments above. Another good family hotel is the Delta Chelsea. Located downtown, very reasonable and family friendly.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The "suite" life in Toronto

Hi.

Looks like you have been doing your homework. I have never stayed at the Suites at King, but my friend did and liked it a lot. I thought I would mention that the suites there have washers and dryers, just in case that is of interest to you.

Also I noticed you have the hockey hall of fame on your list. I assume there is a hockey fan in your family so you may wish to have lunch or dinner at Wayne Gretzkys Restaurant. It is a fun place and the food is pretty good.

http://www.gretzkys.com/main.html

Good luck.

Niagara Falls...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The "suite" life in Toronto

I second the motion for the delta chelsea inn. You can't beat it for location or price. They've done lots of renovations, so don't read any reviews past a couple years old. I've never been to any of the three hotels you mentioned, but be really careful about location. you want to be right in the heart of downtown Toronto (near the Eaton Centre mall) because you want to do mostly walking. Traffic is a b*tch there, although the public transit system is good.

You mentioned spacious rooms, but in Toronto you want to do all sightseeing and no sleeping ;) and the city is safe enough to hang out downtown at night, assuming your 8-year-old doesn't get too tired.

check out the delta chelsea on yahoo at:

…yahoo.com/p-hotel-472470-delta_chelsea_hote…

Mississauga
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The "suite" life in Toronto

I highly recommed the suites at one king west. The rennovations have made the hotel 100% better, and the rooms do have washers, dryers, and kitchens so it would fit a family needs. The bonus is that some of the sights you wish to see, such as the hockey hall of fame are literally a 5 minute walk. The actual room size is fitting for your family of 4. Plus the suites are on the corner of younge and king, which is right next door to the business district, the eaton centre, and enertainment district. The CN tower is a 10 min walk along with the Rogers Centre.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The "suite" life in Toronto

I have stayed many times at One king west, both alone on business and with the family and highly reccomend it

Based on the area you want to visit the location seems to work well.

By the way I have also stayed at Pantages and its pretty good as well-they also feature the washer/dryer, mini kitchen set up

I have not stayed at Cambridge.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The "suite" life in Toronto

Thanks to everyone for their great feedback. We CANNOT wait for our trip to Toronto.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The "suite" life in Toronto

With kids of that age, you may want to consider St. Lawrence Market, most especially if you're around on Saturday morning (there is the permanent market all week long, and the north farmers' market Saturday morns only). Out on the Toronto Islands, there is an outstanding park system, in addition to Centreville, which the kids will love. They might also enjoy Riverdale Farm Park, which is a real live working farm dead smack in the middle of Cabbagetown. When you're down by CN Tower, right across the street you have the Steam Whistle Brewery, in the historic CN Roundhouse building, open for public tours, too. (They'll let the wee ones in, they just can't drink.)

As to accommodation, you might wanna consider renting an exec apartment rather than hotel; Glen Grove Suites www.glengrove.com/downtown/downtown.html has several downtown locations. I haven't been in those properties, but have been in their uptown one; quite nice. You can economize a bit by being able to cook some of your own meals rather than buying all of them; kids get their own rooms, etc. and laundry facility right there. All the downtown properties are in good locations, easy access to all the things you want to see.

Have a wonderful time!

9. Re: The "suite" life in Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 19:19