We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra insurance required for hire car

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Extra insurance required for hire car

Hi,

Can anyone adivise? We have hired a car with Hertz. pick up downtown Toronto. As always we are totally confused by all the "extras" on offer. Could someone tell me exactly what extra insurance, if any, we should buy? It doesn't seem to be an all inclusive rate so I'm sure there will be hard sell of extra insurance.

Many thanks

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra insurance required for hire car

Check to see if your credit card (eg. gold or platinum Visa) or your travel insurance includes rental-car coverage. If so, you can safely refuse most of the insurance options Hertz offers you, and save about $15 per day.

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra insurance required for hire car

Thanks for your reply. If I am not covered by credit card or travel insurance which extra do you recommend that we take?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,722 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra insurance required for hire car

If you have auto insurance at home, check with them also. Mine covers out of country car rentals.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra insurance required for hire car

I just looked up the insurance rates at Hertz. They really ding you on that, don't they! If you don't have any kind of rental-car coverage, you need to take the loss damage waiver, which covers the car (you don't want to be responsible for anything that happens to it). $21 a day is a lot -- that's why it's good to have your own coverage. I personally wouldn't take the "Personal Accident Insurance / Personal Effects Coverage." But really it all depends on what coverage you already have and what amount of risk you're comfortable with.

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra insurance required for hire car

Thanks again, I've obviously made a mistake booking with Hertz!

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Extra insurance required for hire car

I don't think it's just Hertz. Pretty well all the companies are the same. For those of us who live here, our own car insurance covers the rental situation as well. Car insurance not only covers the car, but also the person as well, even if they are driving another car not their own. I run into the same thing in Portugal. Rather than swipe a large deposit for safe return of the car off my credit card, I take the superCDW and pay through the nose. It is no different here. It used to be that if you rented a car in the UK with a credit card, you could waive certain insurances, and it would be covered. I did that once and got badly badly burned. After I got back here, I found the insurance comapny here wanted all kinds of information from Europecar at Heathrow to pay my claim. They never ever replied to my credit card, and I was on the hook for over CAN$600 for a small scratch to a bumper.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extra insurance required for hire car

Hi UKPatsy.

If you own a car try and see what your insurance company knows about travel to another country and rentals. If you don't own a car it probably wouldn't hurt to touch base with an insurance company in the UK, I am thinking they would be able to give you some advice as they must have some experience in this matter.

All the best.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extra insurance required for hire car

if you still have time, I'd seriously consider getting a "gold card" (VISA, MC ,Amex etc.); while they will have annual fees, if you travel a lot and rent vehicles, it will not take many days of "extra" charges to pay for the card, the rest is then a bonus.

BTW, all rental companies charge these "extras" and make most of their profit from them.

Scotland
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extra insurance required for hire car

Hi Patsy,

if you can cancel I would suggest that you book through a uk agent and your price will be all inclusive of the insurance that you need. For eg I travlel via Canadian Affair and they offer all inclusive with National Care Hire. Who are you travelling with?

Angela

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,710 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extra insurance required for hire car

>> I'd seriously consider getting a "gold card

If only UKPatsy is from Canada/US, because no gold card in UK (and virtually everywhere outside of North America for that matter) provides such kind of insurance for credit cards.

BTW many no fee gold cards in Canada provide retntal CDW at no charge.