We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Econo lodge - Jarvis

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
355 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Econo lodge - Jarvis

I've been getting the impression that this is a bad area. I've stayed in Toronto twice before but don't remember Jarvis Street. Is it really that bad? It's right downtown.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Econo lodge - Jarvis

Alexandria

I suspect you'll get differing opinions on your question. There are homeless shelters east of Yonge in the Jarvis area.

For travellers used to 'street people' including late night women on streetcorners, the area can be fine. You are correct, the hotel location is very convenient ... just north of Dundas.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Econo lodge - Jarvis

It's an iffy area -- a bit isolated, and close to corners frequented by crack addicts and dealers. There are worse corners in Toronto, but it's definitely not one of the pleasant ones. If you're not used to walking around a big city at night, I would suggest taking cabs to the hotel at night.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Econo lodge - Jarvis

LOL...... not an area I would recommend......and a note of caution.....in that area many of the 'late night women on street corners' are actually transvestites.

I do volunteer work a few blocks from this hotel and would never suggest anyone actually stay in that neighbourhood.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Econo lodge - Jarvis

A few alternatives: have you looked at the Travelodge on King Street West? A little less central, but a nicer neighbourhood. There's also a list of budget hotels here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-c58140/Toront…

poodleville TO
Level Contributor
674 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Econo lodge - Jarvis

I drive by this hotel almost everyday. I would never recommend someone, especially a lone female to stay there. I think of that hotel as being one where night time "business" is done. If you are looking for a budget hotel check out the ones that were recommended in previous posts and feel free to ask about those as well.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Econo lodge - Jarvis

If you're on your own, and want to try something small and more comfortable, http://www.madisonavenuepub.com/madisonmanor/ check out Madison Manor (aka The Maddy). The Madison pub is a very happening pub in the U of T district near the ROM and Bata Museums. It's an old renovated Victorian series of houses that were turned into a "boutique" hotel. Younger crowd that drinks there, but you'd definitely be safer, and it's right off Bloor & Spadina. Price won't be bad, either, cuz it's not a mainstream hotel.

I would never put anyone I know in that Econo. In fact, I wouldn't even put someone I didn't know in it....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Econo lodge - Jarvis

I think that people here are over-reacting just a tad. If the sight of hookers and homeless people are offensive to you - then the area, late at night, might not be the most pleasant to stay in - but those folks tend to mind their own business - so long as you're minding yours. The crack heads that folks here speak of are a little further east (steer clear of George Street, for example, as that street is rather run down).

The hotel is only a few blocks from the major tourist attractions, plus taxis are plentiful, and the TTC is only a couple of blocks away. Keep your wits about you - as you should anywhere in the city - and you'll have no trouble.

The area by day (and I live there - so take my word for it) is just fine. One block to the west of you, there is Ryerson University, one block to the north, you enter Canada's largest gay community. Jarvis Street is in the process of changing - and has been for the past 10 years or so. There are a couple of four-star hotels right near EconoLodge, as well as upscale condos. Basically, the area is going through a bit of a gentrification and the folks living in the community run the gamut in terms of income and status.

If you can get a good deal -- and if you don't mind a little bit of 'real life' from time to time, then I say go for it.

8. Re: Econo lodge - Jarvis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 17:18