We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham UK
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Topic
Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

We will be in Toronto for 5 full days in October. Our ideas are as follows but not in any particular order as we want to be flexible about weather etc. and also we are very big hockey fans and hope to get to see a Maple Leafs or Marlies game while we are there so will plan a 'shorter day' to fit in with a game if we get lucky with schedules. I got some very helpful information from the forum on a previous posting and so we have come up with the following.

1 City Tour

2 Hockey Hall of Fame / Wayne Gretzkys restaurant or The Bottom Line Bar and Grill for a meal at somepoint in the day.

3 Toronto Islands - going to see if we can still ride a bike!

4 Harbourfront / shopping / dinner (sunset :0) at CN Tower (a treat as its our Wedding Anniversary while we are in Toronto)

5 Niagara Falls Tour

The only thing I'm not sure about is the City Tour, will we be duplicating a lot of stuff that we could see on other days? and if so has anyone any suggestions about what else we can do? I'm not a great lover of shopping - had thought about possibly going to a museum. We are 2 youngish fiftysomethings - yuk how I hate the sound of that.

Anyones thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Durham UK
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

Forgot to add that if we don't do the City Tour we are thinking about Toronto Zoo. Our plans are the bare bones so to speak but I don't want to spoil the main things we want to do by cramming in too much - I'm sure we will be back sometime!! but if anyone has any ideas that we could easily fit in around our main stuff we would be very grateful. Cheers!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

October is a great time to see Toronto! I hope that you get great weather and that you have a fabulous time. Your ideas look amazing- sounds like a great trip!

Since you are a hockey fan, you will be thrilled with the artifacts collected at the Hockey Hall of Fame. Most fun are the shooting and goalkeeping interactive displays, where you can take a whack at targets with a puck or don goalie gear and face down flying video pucks or sponge pucks.

Toronto Maple Leafs Opening Night occurs in mid-October, I believe. Maybe you should try to get tickets?

The Toronto Islands are beautiful and I hope that they are just as enjoyable in the fall as they are in the summer?

I spent my anniversary last year having dinner at sunset at the CN Tower and I can tell you that I loved it so much. Very unforgettable.

I'm glad to see that you are going to be seeing Niagra Falls, as well.

If you enjoy bus tours, then definately try one in Toronto- like the Hop-On Hop-Off City Tour offered by Gray Line. I believe it still goes to the Eaton Centre, City Hall, Casa Loma, Yorkville, Chinatown, Harbourfront, the Rogers Centre, and the CN Tower, and a ticket allows you to get on and off the bus over a 2 day period. However, if bus tours aren't really your thing then keep in mind that the Toronto Zoo is one of the best in the world, modeled after San Diego's- the animals in this 284-hectare park really do live in a natural environment. I'm sure you'll love it.

I think you should go to at least one museum, as long as you have the time- there's nothing worse than a rushed vacation with too much to do and too little time! The best museums in my opinion are the Ontario Science Centre, The Royal Ontario Museum, University of Toronto Art Centre, Harbourfront Centre, and Casa Loma.

Enjoy,

Kate

Durham UK
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

Thanks Kate, can you recommend one of the museums in particular? I really like those which give you an insight into a countries culture, native peoples etc.

We are really hoping to get to see the Maple Leafs, we will be there from the evening of the 14th till the 20th of Oct. so I'm hoping we get lucky enough with the schedules.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

RE: MUSEUMS

The Royal Ontario Museum is one of my favourite museums anywhere. The ROM (rhymes with "tom"), as it's affectionately called, is Canada's largest museum, with more than 6 million objects in its collections. Check out the ROM's website at www.rom.on.ca. Galleries include The Gallery of Canada's First Peoples, which I'm sure you would really enjoy since that is one of the interests you mentioned!

I also want to let you know that I think that you should check out the websites for Casa Loma & The Ontario Science Centre as well, so that you can make a choice between the three that is right for you. (Those are my top 3)

Casa Loma is a facinating place to explore. It really is a castle, and its on a hill that gives you an inspiring view of the city. The Ontario Science Centre is thrilling- it's a lot of fun going through the 10 exhibit halls and more than 800 interactive exhibits. Another draw is the Omnimax theatre, with a 79 foot domed screen that creates spectacular effects. I do highly recommend seeing a show at the Omnimax theatre to you.

www.ontariosciencecentre.ca

www.casaloma.org

Hope that's helpful :)

Durham UK
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

Thanks Kate, thats so helpful - much appreciated :0)

UK
Level Contributor
231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

The Science centre and Casaloma are both interesting places well worth a visit. If you do go to Casaloma, find time to go to Spadina it is just a few hundred yards away, and such a contrast. There is a price reduction if you visit both sites. If you can try to get to Niagra on the lake while your at Niagra.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

When in October you will be coming? There's a Holloween street party on that nite, and it's always so fun to get there...

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

A fun and interesting museum is the Bata Shoe Museum located catty-corner from the St. George subway station. You might also consider the Distillery District where you could combine some history with some shopping. http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/

Have fun.

Durham UK
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

Thanks for the replies everyone, we will be in Toronto from the 14th until the 20th of October - sounds as if we will miss the Halloween party then - what a pity, it sounds like great fun. Thanks for the advice everyone - gives us more ideas on how to make the most of our time. Can't wait to visit Toronto. I've heard so many good things about it from my daughter. She worked in the city for 4 months and shared a flat with friends in Little Italy. She vows she will go back for good one day!!!!

Loved it so much.

Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our thoughts so far! Yours would be welcome!

Ros, you mentioned that you are interested in "museums that give you an insight into a countries culture, native peoples etc."

The Art Gallery of Ontario has a good sampling of Canadian art.

A little-known art gallery in downtown Toronto is the TD Inuit Gallery at 79 Wellington Street West (see homeandabroad.com/c/57/Site/55029_Toronto_Do… )

Free admission. More than 200 pieces of art. Just walk into the tower and head towards the left hand side of the elevator. This place is a real treasure!

The Guild Shop at 118 Cumberland St. (in the Yorkville neighbourhood) sells contemporary Canadian museum-quality craft. They often have special shows of Native art; I think the annual Inuit print collection comes out in the fall, so it may be on when you're here. It's a small shop but jammed.

If you're in that area, there are several other native art galleries good for browsing too.

And there are a couple at Harbourfront as well. ARCTIC NUNAVUT at Harbourfront is small but packed with great Inuit art.

If you have time, and can rent a car, I would highly recommend the

McMichael Museum in Kleinberg, north of Toronto. This is the best showcase of Canadian art in the country. Amazing West Coast Native carvings, Inuit sculpture and prints, Group of Seven, etc. I make an annual trip there! They always have interesting temporary exhibits. This place will give you a really good overview of Canadian culture. http://www.mcmichael.com

That's just off the top of my head. I'll post more later if I remember other things.