We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

Wirral, Merseyside
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

We want to spend 5 days in New York, 4 days in Toronto & have 6 days in between (We plan to take the train between the two). Does anyone have any suggestions for a place to stay which is less hectic in between? We have thought about Niagara (but looks like veyr busy place) & maybe we can visit there for a day or two.

Are there any lakeside/beach towns or country parks etc?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

If you have 6 days to spend somewhere between NYC and Toronto enroute, then do plan to spend 2 or 3 days in Niagara. Niagara Falls is very busy, but Niagara on the Lake would be a lovely spot to settle into for a few days. If you could rent a car, that would allow you to see and do much more, but you could rely on taxis if you like.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154999-i270-Niaga…

http://www.niagaraonthelake.com

Before that (again if you rented a car) I'd suggest getting off in Syracuse NY and spending some time just south of the city in the Finger Lakes area of the state. It's quiet, beautiful and very restful. There are lots of lovely little towns, but we like Skaneates and the Mirbeau Inn---very luxurious, but there are B&B's in the area too.

http://skaneateles.com/

The train will of course be going through cities, so if you are prepared to rent a car and take some side roads in New York and Ontario, you can have a simply wonderful and relaxing time in either or both. Gardens, shops, parks...... all near the water.

Hope that helps. :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

I'd take the "Adirondack" train through New York State up to Montreal, Quebec. (Apparently that route is supposed to be really picturesque) Montreal may be a big city, but it's pretty chilled out. Kind of like the vibe in Amsterdam.

Good luck!

Wirral, Merseyside
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

Many thanks to you both - I have been following up these leads & this has been very useful (found a good appartment in Toronto from one of them anyway!)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

Finger lakes or lake Placid would be worth a few days. Niagara falls is max one day-trip from Toronto.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,083 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

Hi.

Tobie had a great thought about Niagara on the Lake. It is such a picturesque area. If you want to just relax... Niagara on the Lake is quite peaceful. However if you want to explore a little there is a fair bit to due there as well. You will find nice little boutiques and a great Christmas store, and art galleries on the gorgeous main street as well as an amazing bakery and many fine restaurants. Also, there are a few antique stores and an ice cream parlor and so forth.

Plus there are many wineries in the area if that sort of thing is of interest to you. As far as Niagara on the Lake goes you really can not go wrong.

Good luck!

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

I was also going to suggest the Finger Lakes region. There are a lot of little towns around there, and you might want to have a stop at Farm Sanctuary (farmsanctuary.org), which is also in that area and a truly remarkable place.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

If thats New York city in NY you are going to visit, then Toronto, you find Niagara falls peaceful compare to those two city's. All of the Falls area is not busy, down river rd. to the north is one area. Yes Niagara on the Lake even more so but you might not need to go as far and over there you can not see and hear the Falls. On the weekdays Niagara Falls is not too busy, lots people but nothing compare to Toronto and NY city.

I would rent a car just outside of NY city, crossing in to Canada by the Falls is quick, Rainbow bridge is just one way in but that take you right in the middle of the Falls area and its so nice to look at. You can park on either side, USA or Canada both have park areas. I like both sides myself but at night time stay on the Canada side.

Wirral, Merseyside
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

Thanks again to you all - there's so much choice!

Montreal
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

Six days is a lot of time to spend anywhere...so why not do both Montreal and Niagara (if you have the energy and the budget)?

-Take the "Adirondack" train from NYC to Montreal. The scenery through New York State is very picturesque and Montreal is unlike any other city in Canada - so much culture and good food and beautiful people... Two days in Montreal will give you a nice taste of this unforgettable city.

THEN

-Take the train past Toronto to Niagara. You can take 2-3 days to visit the Falls, stroll through vineyards, bike through charming villages... savour some beautiful landscapes.

THEN

-Take the train back to Toronto for your last four days.

Am I being too ambitious?

www.viarail.ca/summer2007/en_index.html

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/

10. Re: Chilling out between New York & Toronto (apart from Niagara)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 02:17