We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Day in Toronto

UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Special Day in Toronto

We are going to be spending a few days in Toronto with friends in July before we start a tour, as my friend will be celebrating her 60th birthday it would be nice to do something special. Does anyone have any suggestiions for somewhere nice to visit, perhaps outside Toronto in a more countryside situation>

Also looking for some nice suggestions of true Canadian places to eat at night - other than the CN Tower. Somewhere memorable without being uncomfortably grande!

Any contributions much appreciated.

Scotland
Level Contributor
147 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special Day in Toronto

Hi Peanuts49,

There are so many things to do in toronto and the surrounding areas but it depends on what you like to do. There is for example Niagara Falls and they are awesome but I personally do not like the area -too much like Blackpool these days but ok for a days visit. Near the falls is a lovely place called Naigara by the lake. There are also areas like St. Jacobs which is a beautiful place. I am sure there will be plenty of people who will guide you further if you can give a bit more info on what you like to see when travelling.

AMK

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special Day in Toronto

I love getting away to historic Unionville for an afternoon. It fits the word "quaint", and has a number of lovely restaurants.

Here's a link

http://www.unionvilleinfo.com/

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special Day in Toronto

A true Canadian restaurant that I've been looking forward to trying this summer is Treadwell, in Port Dalhousie -- on the way to Niagara, right next to St. Catharines. http://www.treadwellcuisine.com

Chef Stephen Treadwell is known searching out the best local ingredients and treating them with lots of imagination and little fuss. And the prices are about 25% less than you'd pay for the same thing in Toronto.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special Day in Toronto

Hi.

I like the suggestions about Unionville and St Jacobs. Both are lovely settings. A few other of my favorites that come to mind that are very scenic spots are Niagara on the Lake and Kleinburg.

If you like art there is an art gallery in Kleinburg that features the famous Canadian Group of Seven artists.

mcmichael.com/collection/seven/jackson.cfm

As far as restaurants you may like Canoe. There are photos on the following link to check out to see if it is the style you are looking for.

http://www.oliverbonacini.com/canoemovie.html

Best of luck!

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special Day in Toronto

For places to visit outside of Toronto, I agree Unionville is a great idea! It is pretty close to the city but a beautiful area, great quaintshops and restaraunts and also lots of nice trails, including one around Toogood Pond.

You might also want to check out Elora, which is farther, about an hour and a half, near St Jacobs. It is a very beautiful little town along the Grand River.

For in the city, perhaps a picnic on the Toronto Islands, or an afternoon spent in the Beach (East Toronto). You can have lunch somewhere on Queen Street and browse the shops, and take a walk along the boardwalk.

6. Re: Special Day in Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 19:18