We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crystal at ROM - A Big Deal?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
266 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Crystal at ROM - A Big Deal?

I saw on a recent post that the Crystal addition to ROM is supposed to be a major new attraction for Toronto. Is if for the spectacular architecture or for what will be inside as well? It looks similar to the modern addition to the Louvre in Paris.

Any local experts have a pre-opening review of what is to come? We will be staying for a weekend at the end of July. I love local museums that have unique flavor.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crystal at ROM - A Big Deal?

frank

You'll definitely want to include the Royal Ontario Museun in your schedule. www.rom.on.ca/crystal/

Because of various delays, the Jun 3rd gala opening will be for the architecture (not enough time to get proper displays completed in that section).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crystal at ROM - A Big Deal?

I was just standing outside it yesterday. They're rushing to finish -- not sure it has a front door yet -- but I think they'll make it. The crystal is mostly opaque (long story behind that) so the Louvre glass pyramids hadn't come to mind for me. The most obvious comparisons would be Daniel Liebskind's Jewish Museum (in Berlin) and Denver Art Museum.

The next few months at the ROM are a bit confusing:

Ongoing: Many newly-renovated galleries in the "heritage buildings" are already open, covering everything from native Canadian culture to Chinese history. There's a very good Ancient Peru exhibit on until early August.

June 3 to June 10: as mentioned, there's an "architectural preview" of all galleries in the crystal, mostly empty.

June 3 to mid-August: two temporary exhibits go on display within the crystal -- Japanese paintings in the massive basement exhibit hall, and "History of History" on one of the upper levels.

June 11 onward: the "C5" gourmet restaurant, inside the top level of the crystal, opens.

In addition to the ROM, you might also like two smaller museums nearby, which both have plenty of unique flavour: the Gardiner Museum of Ceramics and the Bata Shoe Museum.

Links and directions for all three are listed here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-s410/Toronto:… .

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crystal at ROM - A Big Deal?

Hello,

Another thought would be the University of Toronto Art Centre which sometimes gets overllooked. From your post it may be something that would appeal to you.

http://www.utoronto.ca/artcentre/

frommers.com/destinations/toronto/A29952.html

Best of luck.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crystal at ROM - A Big Deal?

I was thinking about this post, appropriately enough while doing Philospher's Walk, behind the ROM.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Crystal isn't made entirely of glass. Apparently there was no budget for that - which is too bad because it would have looked incredible. That being said the site is huge - so I'm still looking forward to the space that the structure is going to afford the museum for future exihibits.

Not sure if it's going to be the monumental landmark that they are claiming it will be - but I'm reserving judgement until it's complete - and when we get a chance to see what some dramatic lighting and staging will do to the overall presentation.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crystal at ROM - A Big Deal?

By the way, ROM will have its gala opening on Jun 2 evening. It will feature performances, the Governor General will be present to light up the Crystal and free admission to see the new empty space inside the Crystal. Heard the Crystal has NO 90 degree angle at all.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crystal at ROM - A Big Deal?

I'm not convinced budget was the only reason. The exhibits the ROM puts on display need carefully controlled light, temperature, and humidity -- some of which would be nearly impossible to provide inside an all-glass building. The ROM did make a big mistake of letting people get the impression that all-glass was the plan, if it wasn't really possible. And "crystal" is not the greatest name, under those circumstances!

7. Re: Crystal at ROM - A Big Deal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 02:17