We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best locations/hotels to stay

DC
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
best locations/hotels to stay

My wife and I are heading to Toronto for a few days in July. We'd like to stay in the center of (or nearby) nightlife, restaurants/bars/daytime activities, etc. We've been to the lakes north of Toronto several times, but never to downtown Toronto and thus have no idea where to stay. Any suggestions for location (relative to metro) or specific hotels? The hotels will at least give me an idea on location and then I can figure out what's in our budget.

Is the Hilton Toronto in a fun area?

Thanks!

Toronto Urban Adventures
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Toronto Food Tours Inc.
Cooking Classes, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Second City Toronto
Comedy Clubs, Performances
Mill Street Brewery
Bars & Clubs, Breweries, Distilleries, Beer Tastings & Tours, Other Food & Drink
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best locations/hotels to stay

Its in a great area, not sure what type of fun you are looking for. Thing what I like about Toronto is the TTC, subways, buses, even street cars. So long as you are by a subway station in downtown, its fast and easy to go a few miles where you like to. Thats why I save $$ and stay at the Day's Inn on College or Carlton st. Its not where I like to be always but in 5 mins I can get where I like to be. Hilton is more closer to the better bars, clubs, The trains too if you want to go way out. You are right next to the new opera house if thats for you. Outdoor concerts are close by too but not walking dist. but the buses would take you there, forgot the name of the place but each summer big name bands play outside. Sure somebody who lives there can think of it.

If you can afford the hotel I would stay there, lots of great places to eat also.

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best locations/hotels to stay

The Hilton is right in toronto's entertainment district, by all the theatres and such. it is is a close walk to the trendy shops and restaurants on queen street as well, and close to the harbourfront area/cn tower, etc.

there is also a holiday inn just a bit further down the street.

it is a good location in terms of walking to some things and attractions. the only thing is it is not immediately by a subway station. (maybe a 10 minute walk to the subway?)

i dont know anyrthing about the specific hotels or what your price range is, but in terms of locations some others right by subway stations are:

sheraton across from nathan phillips square

marriott at the eaton centre

mariott at yonge/bloor

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best locations/hotels to stay

Palapi, are you sure you're thinking of the Hilton (Richmond & University)? Most of your description applies, but it's just a block from the Osgoode subway station. It's even closer than the Sheraton, though both are a very short walk.

Stillsmoking, I think the outdoor venue you're thinking of is the Molson Amphitheatre (at Ontario Place).

DCMove, if you really wanted to be in the centre of nightlife, the SoHo Met, Le Germain, and brand new Residence Inn Entertainment District are deeper in the entertainment district, though a little further from some of the daytime sights and the subway.

Ballymena, Northern...
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best locations/hotels to stay

Hey, I was in toronto in late feb/early march. I would recommend staying in the downtown area. I stayed in Days Hotel (charlton street) it was a good hotel and the beer cellar does good food and is reasonable priced and the college street subway is just outside the hotel which means its easy to get about.

The entertainment disctrict isnt too far either with the subway or taxi.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best locations/hotels to stay

Location wise...my #1 choice would be Sheraton. #2, Hilton, and #3, Marriott next to the Eaton Centre...

All three are close to the subway station.

fyi, Hilton is only one block from Osgoode or St Andrew station.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best locations/hotels to stay

Some of those subway stations are underground and all you see on the street is stairs going down. They have a small red & white sign. Maybe if somebody is there their first time they may not see all of them. I look for the signs, stairs are harder too see from down the street.

DC
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best locations/hotels to stay

Thanks for all the help. Exactly what I was looking for. I asked about the Hilton b/c I am a Hilton Honors member and can use points for a free stay. We'll only be in Toronto for a couple days before driving up to a friend's cottage on Lake Muskoka. So we'll have a car with us, but I might see if I can park it at his parents' house for the few days we're in Toronto before driving north.

Thanks again!

8. Re: best locations/hotels to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 04:15