We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need tips around spening a day at thousand islands

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Need tips around spening a day at thousand islands

We are going for a 7 day trip to Toronto, Montreal in July. Enroute to toronto (driving from Montreal on hwy 401) we were planning to stop over for a day at the thousand islands per this forum's recommendations.

I have the following questions:

1. On this forum i found references to both 1000 islands and 30000 islands. What is the difference between these? And are these located nearby? Which one is better for a day's visit?

2. Should we take the 1000 island cruise from Gananoque or from Kingston? Which one is more scenic? Also which town is a better town to spend a night at?

3. We would love to spend a night at a log cabin/cottage. However i am looking for something not too pricy - less that $150. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need tips around spening a day at thousand islands

SeaGal

1. Georgian Bay has the 30,000 Islands - and is 100 miles north of Toronto. Gananoque has 1,000 Islands - and is 180 miles east of Toronto. I suspect the 1,000 Islands are more popular.

2. Definitely take the 1000 Island cruise from Gananoque. Gananoque is a small quaint town. The city of Kingston will have a better selection of hotels. They're only 20 miles apart.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need tips around spening a day at thousand islands

Hi;

Enroute from Montreal to Toronto, you will pass the 1000 Islands, so this is where you would want to spend the day.

The cruise out of Gananoque is far superior to the cruises leaving from Kingston.

The Gananoque Boat Line’s website is;

www.ganboatline.com/

The 3 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which is in American waters. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs. Be sure that you bring your passport, and/or other identification as required.

www.boldtcastle.com/

If you decide to stay in Gananoque, I strongly recommend the Islandview Inn Bed & Breakfast, which is located only 1 block from where the tour boats dock.

Their website is;

http://www.islandviewinnbb.com/

Best Regards

3. Re: Need tips around spening a day at thousand islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 19:20