We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
355 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches

When do the beaches close for the year? My husband and I would like to check out the beaches and maybe go swimming (we might be there around the end of August, beginning of September). Is it too late by then?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches

Do you mean beaches on Lake Ontario in Toronto? Most days they are completely unswimmable due to toxicity. I wouldn't count on swimming at a Toronto beach.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches

Lake Ontario is a lot cleaner than it used to be -- which is why you may get some strange looks or comments from locals if you actually swim in it.

Six of Toronto's beaches have been awarded "Blue Flags", an international symbol of beach quality. I believe it includes a requirement that they be swimmable at least 80% of the time.

You can see daily conditions at www.toronto.ca/beach/swimmingconditions/ . (Today, seven of eleven beaches are open.)

The beaches officially close -- i.e. no lifeguards, no water quality tests -- at the end of August, maybe as late as Labour Day. As far as I know, none of them are fenced off over the winter, so if it's too late for swimming you can still walk along the beach.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches

Actually end of August beginning of September is the best time to go swimming as the water will have warmed up a bit. Last year I even made it into the start of October on an extraordinarily hot day. The beaches vary in quality, with some frequently closed especially after a heavy rainfall and some almost never posted as unsafe.

Have fun.

toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches

the only places i swim in is wasaga beach (2 hours away from toronto) and sauble beach (3 hours away), other than that its strickly outdoor pools.

Toronto
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches

Or did you mean the general Beaches neighbourhood in Toronto?

I tend to agree I wouldn't go swimming, but it is lovely to walk along the boardwalk, watch people playing volleyball on the sand, etc.

The Beaches is a residential area, so it is never "closed" at any time of year.

Here's a link:

torontotourism.com/Visitor/…TheBeaches.htm

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches

There are two beaches on the toronto islands that have the blue flag designation, I think a swim at one of those would be wonderful. those beaches are gorgeous and the blue flag is an international designation of safe water quality.

just double check which beaches it is that have the designation.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches

The island beaches which are blue flagged are Ward's and Hanlon's. Just btw the latter is clothing optional.

http://www.torontobeach.ca/beaches/check.jsp

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches

Gibraltar Point and Centre Island are also blue-flagged this year. (Cherry and Woodbine are the two "mainland" beaches with blue flags.)

This map has little blue flags for the certified beaches, along with the current conditions: www.toronto.ca/beach/swimmingconditions/

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches

Regardless of the blue flags...it's still the same lake and I wouldn't swim in Toronto. I know many like-minded people, but different strokes for different folks! (no pun intended)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches

I see people swimming in the various beaches all through the summer - particularly on the island and in the east-end Beaches community. They will all be open throughout the month of August - and at least until Labour Day Weekend.

I wouldn't swim in it myself - and I've actually limited the number of times my dog is able to do it. I noticed that after swimming, she would come out with a nasty itch which the vet told me comes from a parasite that is common in Lake Ontario.