We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

directions/toll roads

louisiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
directions/toll roads

We are flying into Buffalo and driving straight to Toronto Friday. We are staying at Suites at One King West. I went to mapquest to print driving directions. It is sending me onto I-290 N ( portions toll) which becomes Quennston-Lewis Bridge( portions toll) First, is this the best route? Secondly, how much are these tolls? Do I need Canadian fare or can I use USD? Do I need exact change?

Thanks in advance,

Karen

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: directions/toll roads

Karen

If you don't get much response on this forum, you may want to post on the Buffalo forum.

Regardless of which Niagara area bridge you cross into Ontario from BUF, there's a bridge toll into Canada. You can pay in either currency. No exact change required; there are some lanes with attendants.

Years ago, they changed it so that - rather than pay a toll each way - you pay one toll only when coming into Canada.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: directions/toll roads

Mapquest must be taking you on I290 to I190 and then up to Queenston-Lewiston. The only toll on the way is the 75cent Grand Island Bridge toll. The Queenston-Lewiston bridge toll is $3US or $3.50CDN. Once you cross into Canada, you will be on Hwy 405 which will merge into the QEW and that will take you right to Toronto.

An alternate route would be to stay on I290 in Buffalo to the Peace Bridge (same tolls). You would cross into Canada at Fort Erie and be right on the QEW.

No real winner as to best route.

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: directions/toll roads

The Rainbow bridge isn't as convenient but you would get to see the Falls as you cross! Wouldn't want you to miss it, you are coming this far!

Toronto
Level Contributor
80 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: directions/toll roads

Tolls are tolls- and yes, they take both US and C$ (even Grand Island). Best route depends a lot on traffic.

Call 1-800-715-6722 or check the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission website niagarafallsbridges.com/…rainbow

after landing at the airport to see where the delays are. Same info at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html although the answers are sometimes different!!

Peace Bridge has more customs lanes, so if you are crossing at a busy time, that is usually your best bet. Not a busy time? We usually use Queenston-Lewiston.

5. Re: directions/toll roads

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 03:18