We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto Customs

Mumbai
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Toronto Customs

Hi,

I will be entering Tornoto on July 13, 2007 after visiting London, coming from Mumbai. I will be carrying some masala powders and a few snack packets - all sealted into Tornoto. Can someone pls tell me if I should :

1. declare these items as 'Foodstuff' on the landing card/customs declaration form – or whatever it’s called.

2. If by declaring so, can I still walk through the Green channel or it will probably be a better option to say ‘no foodstuff’ as I do not know what people generally mean by 'Foodstuff'.

3. For the Green channel, do they make you screen your baggage...

If they collect the card at Immigration, before Customs, I don’t think it shd be any problem if I then walk through the Green channel….??

Thanks in advance,

Gery

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto Customs

Spices and snacks are allowed; meat and most dairy are not. You can read up on the restrictions here:

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/…laws-e.html

There is no green channel in Canada. All visitors go through the same screening process; some are then selected for additional inspection, which may involve a search of your luggage.

Toronto
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto Customs

Also, if you are an Indian citizen, you need a visa to go to Canada

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto Customs

If you answer "yes" to any of the special questions (food, commerical goods, firearms, etc.), you're pretty much guaranteed that the officer who checks your passport will ask about it. But that only takes a few seconds, and generally they seem to appreciate the honesty.

If your answers sound reasonable (and what you're bringing in is allowed), they'll mark your card to indicate that. At that point, you're not much more likely to get stopped on your way out of the customs hall than anyone else.

You'll sometimes see sniffer dogs looking for food that isn't allowed, so it is best to read through the official rules before you pack.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto Customs

The process is as follows: On the flight into Canada, you will be given a card to fill out. On this card you answer yes or no to the various questions. After leaving the plane you proceed to the Customs Hall. I might add that between the plane and the Customs Hall you will see washrooms which you may use if you feel the need, as the lines can be long. Make sure you stand back behind the red line until it is your turn. Present you passport (and visa if needed) along with the card you filled in on the plane. Answer all questions in a polite and 'subservient' manner. The Customs Agent will put a code number on your card and give it back to you. Then you proceed to the Baggage Hall and retrieve your bags from the carousel. Then you head to the exit. There as you exit, you will hand in your card. It is then that you will find out what the code means. You may get waved through or be required to have your bags fully searched. You are not home free though. There is a second line of agents further down watching carefully, and you can get questioned and searched there as well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
823 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto Customs

I need to chime in here: "......subservient manner" is NOT required nor wanted by anyone. Think of it as being at the bank, speaking to a teller.

Be friendly and open and you will not have any problems.

Our officers are not like some at US border points, where (some) think they are God. And with the powers they have, they might as well be.

6. Re: Toronto Customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 19:15