We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porter Airline

Toronto
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Porter Airline

Just wanted to share my great experience with Porter Airline this weekend.

I am a regular traveller and almost always travel Air Canada. I thought I"d give Porter a try based on the fact that it was half the price of Air Canada, I live downtown and the flight times better suited my schedule.

The ease of getting to the Island Airport is unmatched. I arrived 20 minutes before my flight, sped through security and was led into Porters lounge. There are complimentary drinks and snacks served.

The plane was very spacious with leather interiors. Food is served as well as refreshments (including complimentary alcohol). The service was fantastic and the flight left exactly on time.

You can't beat the view leaving the city from the island, there was a jays game going on and you could see right into the dome, pretty amazing.

My only negative comment was the shuttle bus that was supposed to run every 10 minutes from Union station was a half hour late (hence arriving 20 minutes before my flight).

I know the airline is in a bit of financial trouble so I thought I'd spread the word. It is such a great thing being able to fly from downtown Toronto. I was truly impressed by the experience and no, I don't work for porter! :-)

1. Re: Porter Airline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2007, 04:16
London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Porter Airline

It will probably be a long time until there is a trainlink to Pearson, but what would be possible, if someone would just get idea on the road so as to speak, is a dedicated bus way (like in Ottawa) that could be used by buses and/or taxis or light rail streetcars (as in Boston) from Union Station to Pearson. Some one in charge needs to go to Athens and see how they managed to integrate a fast train service every 30 mins from downtown Athens to the airport with their subway system. It isn't rocket science and could be done here too.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Porter Airline

It will probably be a long time until there is a trainlink to Pearson, but what would be possible, if someone would just get idea on the road so as to speak, is a dedicated bus way (like in Ottawa) that could be used by buses and/or taxis or light rail streetcars (as in Boston) from Union Station to Pearson. Some one in charge needs to go to Athens and see how they managed to integrate a fast train service every 30 mins from downtown Athens to the airport with their subway system. It isn't rocket science and could be done here too.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Porter Airline

I have also heard very good things about Porter Airlines and will be using them later this summer.

I am hoping they expand to include flights all over Canada and I know they were recently approved to fly into New York.

With respect to estragon's comment, I live on the Toronto waterfront and can see the planes taking off and landing from the Island Airport, I am not bothered at all, they are not noisy or disruptive.

The Toronto Island already has plenty of trees and parkland for use by the public and the Island Airport area is really quite small.

Many major cities have airports in the downtown core, NYC for instance.

This CAN work in Toronto and Porter seems to be the first one willing to give it a shot. I think it would be great for Toronto to see more flights into the downtown core.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porter Airline

A couple of summers I went to one of the free concerts held regularly in the Music Garden. It was quite magical... except for the constant buzzing of planes overhead.

The Toronto Island Airport is moderately acceptable for now. But Porter and others are determined to eventually expand it so it can accommodate jets, which are considerably noisier. And if that happens, watch what happens to the quality of life on the waterfront.

New York's airports are not exactly in the downtown core. Laguardia is in Queens; JFK is in Brooklyn. Chicago used to have a downtown airport that was fouling its waterfront -- until Mayor Richard Daley showed up one night with bulldozers. No more airport.

Toronto
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Porter Airline

Anyways......

I agree, it would be fabulous to have some sort of taxi or air rail system going to Pearson..... It really is a pain especially for someone like me who lives downtown and doesn't drive. But in the meantime I"ll continue to support Porter and spread the good word! Love that Island airport!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porter Airline

I am another Porter fan.

Last fall I had to make a couple trips from Ottawa to Niagara Falls, for a family emergency. I thought I would give Porter a try for one of the return trips.

Because the shuttle is located close to Union Station, it can be easily accessed either by train, or by inter-city bus (which stops at the Royal York).

I found it much more relaxing than flying in and out of Pearson. The Toronto Island lounge is great; they even have free internet. The only drawback is the fact that Porter's planes can't land or take off if the weather is foggy; I'm not sure if they cancel flights or just divert them, but either way, it would be inconvenient to be caught in that situation.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Porter Airline

Porter does an admirable job of making you feel welcome and comfortable; you are treated like a customer and not like cattle, as with most 'major' carriers, unless you spend a bundle for sitting up front.

I live downtown, so I find Porter great for short hops, and have no problem with them operating out of the city. I take the streetcar or a taxi down to the terminal, leaving a relative small footprint. Do I wish to see the runway extended, not really, because this would change the whole thing. Do I want a fast rail-link to the airport - yes, but that's a dream.

Trees on the Island Airport ? Another dream, and not realistic -- most cities the size of TO have a downtown airport for short flights and private planes. It's part of being a large city.

Why not go after City planning staff for the concrete and glass curtain going up along the edge of our harbour and beyond? Or better yet, go after them for their complete lack of planning anywhere, (lack of) sense of style and aesthetics. That's controllable!

Tourists flying Porter to Montreal or Ottawa for a day or two of sightseeing would cause a lot less pollution than if they all drove. How much better could it get"? (wonder if I should contact Porter with this idea for a few ads?)

Toronto
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Porter Airline

Bravo!

10. Re: Porter Airline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2007, 01:14
Get answers to your questions about Toronto