We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please!

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice please!

Please can someone help my boyfriend and i decide on firstly, a route, secondly what sights to take in and finally how many days to spend in each place.

Our trip is for 13 nights starting 6th October in Toronto and finishing 20th October in Toronto.

We would like to travel from Toronto-Huntsville (stopping at the National Park)-Quebec City-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto for the 18th October to see a Maple Leafs game, visit Niagra Falls and take in the sights in Toronto.

We would like to combine Hotels and an RV in our trip and kind of had our hearts set on staying in a log cabin in Huntsville (any suggestions?).

Please can someone help with our plans as we are so confused with all the guide books. There is so much to see and do and we wouldn't want miss anything we should really see.

Please help.

Claire

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Huntsville
Huntsville
Muskoka District, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Toronto
Level Contributor
499 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please!

A better itinerary would probably be Toronto - Huntsville - Ottawa - Montreal - Quebec City - Toronto because you can drive from Huntsville to Ottawa is a better straight line.

Googling for log cabins in Huntsville did not return many results, but there are supposed to be websites that owners of cottages can put their place up for rent (however, they might have a minimum stay requirement).

You can also use an RV, but it may be difficult for you to drive especially in Montreal, with the crazy traffic. I'm sure you can Google "Canada RV" and find a reputable rental company. I personally would recommend you sticking with renting a car and sticking with hotel recommendations (it will make it much easier for you, especially if you're not used to driving on the other side of the road).

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Huntsville
Huntsville
Muskoka District, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please!

Ooh this is good. Thank you

Would it be worth while hiring a RV to go from Quebec back to Toronto or would this be a waste of time. Is there anywhere to stop on the way?

Any suggestions of must see sights?

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,380 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please!

Hi;

I must say, your plans are VERY ambitious. I have re-ordered the cities to minimize some of the back tracking involved. Here are some details that you should take into consideration.

Toronto to Huntsville is approx. 135 miles / 215 km., and is about a 2.5 hr. drive.

I am presuming you mean Algonquin Provincial Park, as there isn’t a national park close by.

Huntsville to Algonquin Provincial Park is approx. 27 miles / 43 km, and is about a 45 minute drive.

Algonquin Provincial Park to Ottawa is approx. 185 miles / 300 km, and is about a 4 hour drive.

Ottawa to Montreal is approx. 125 miles / 200 km, and is about a 2.25 hour drive.

Montreal to Quebec City is approx. 160 miles / 250 km, and is about a 3 hour drive.

Quebec City to Toronto is approx. 500 miles / 800 km, and is about a 10 hour drive.

All the above would need to be completed by the 18th, so you can attend the Leafs game.

Toronto to Niagara Falls is approx. 80 miles / 130 km, and is about 1.5 hour drive.

So, Toronto to Huntsville, to Algonquin Park, to Ottawa, to Montreal, to Quebec City, to Toronto, to Niagara Falls, and back to Toronto…almost 1300 miles / 2075 km – 26 hours of driving !

BUT, all these times do not include traffic delays, stopping to re-fuel, meal breaks, etc. You will also have to factor in time to rent the RV as well as return it.

I would strongly recommend obtaining a map of eastern Canada, showing the provinces of Ontario & Quebec, and then looking over your travel plans with the map in front of you. Online, try Google Maps at;

http://maps.google.ca/

To enjoy Toronto properly will take a MINIMUM of 3 days, Algonquin Park 1-2 days, Ottawa 1-2 days, Montreal 2-3 days, Quebec City also 2-3 days, and Niagara Falls can be a day trip. I think that you are trying to cover too much of an area in a limited time.

Hopefully, this will be of some assistance planning your trip.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Huntsville
Huntsville
Muskoka District, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
720 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Essex
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please!

Ok, this really does help. This is exactly what we have needed.

Can you suggest a route plan that wouldn't tire us and where we would still be able to experience eastern Canada?

Many thanks for your advice!

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto
Level Contributor
499 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please!

It is a long drive, but I honestly think if you want to do it, you should. Yes, it's a long drive, but it's the season where the leaves change. You might not make it up to Quebec City, but I believe you can definitely make it to Huntsville, Ottawa and Montreal.

If you don't drive an RV, the trip would be faster, but that's just my opinion.

You seem to have ten or eleven nights before you need to be back in Toronto.

If you can handle driving, I would at least recommend you hit Huntsville (because that is when the leaves will be changing color.)

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Huntsville
Huntsville
Muskoka District, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please!

First I would advise not renting an RV. I assume this would be to avoid hotel costs. This would mean you would have to search out campground sites which usually close around the weekend you arrive as that is what you call a Bank Holiday Monday: and you just can't pull over and stop and sleep. If you haven't driven a large vehicle on the 'other side' of the road, it is quite difficult to judge where the passenger side of the vehicle is and you can end up with a damage right side very easily. I found the same thing driving in the UK , and often hit the curb on the left side of the road. Picture trying to drive a vehicle the size of a small 'hoppa' bus.The second thing is to note that this is a huge country. Ontario is also a huge province. The entire UK will fit into the southern quarter of Ontario. So when you make plans for the drive you mention you are trying to cover an area larger than the UK. A good route has been suggested for you. However, you may not be able to go as far as Quebec City and have to be satisfied with Montreal being your 'French Canadian' Experience. Maybe come back and visit us again next year using Halifax as your base and see the Maritimes.

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please!

Is there a nice place tostop for the night between Montreal and Toronto?

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,380 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice please!

Hi;

About half way is the town of Gananoque, which is "The Gateway to the Thousand Islands".

You can take a bout tour of the islands. The Gananoque Boat Line’s website is;

www.ganboatline.com/

Their boats are triple deckers. The two lower levels are enclosed, while the upper deck is wide open.

The 3 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which is in American waters. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

www.boldtcastle.com/

If you decide to stay in Gananoque overnight, I strongly recommend the Islandview Inn Bed & Breakfast, which is located only 1 block from where the tour boats dock.

http://www.islandviewinnbb.com/

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Gananoque
Gananoque
Ontario, Canada
Thousand Islands
Thousand Islands
445 Reviews
Alexandria Bay, NY
Montreal
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice please!

As other posters have mentioned, I think the main issue you should focus on is travelling between the cities. It can be extremely tiring - especially on such as ambitious journey - to drive so often during such a short period of time.

Some suggestions:

After arriving in Toronto, take the train to Niagara Falls. The Falls are kitschy but they are worth a look. I wouldn't schedule more than a day for the Falls and area.

Upon returning to Toronto, rent your car for the drive to Huntsville and the drive to Ottawa, and maybe even the drive to Montreal (as they are all relatively short distances).

Take the train or bus from Montreal to Quebec City.

Take the train or bus from Quebec City to Montreal.

From there, you can continue on the train or switch back to a car.

In any case, you'll want to have more of the driving at the beginning of the trip, when you're very fresh, and at the end of the trip, when you're slowing down energy-wise.

Most of these changes can be made hassle-free. Train stations are very conveniently located and avoiding traffic is always best for the nerves (Toronto = horrendous traffic, Montreal = overly excited drivers).

In any case, you'll have a great time in eastern Canada in the fall. There are some truly breathtaking sights to see.

Good luck!

http://www.viarail.ca/en_index.html

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org

http://www.torontotourism.com/visitor

www.enterpriserentacar.ca/car_rental/home.do

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
720 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Huntsville
Huntsville
Muskoka District, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice please!

Hello Pnutshreddie.

Welcome to the forum!

Just a few thoughts....in October the further north you travel from Toronto the cooler the temperature gets. For example it will be cooler in October in the Huntsville area than it will in the Gananoque area. I think Rescue Team has a good suggestion there, with mentioning Gananoque.

So possibly...Toronto to Gananoque where you can experience a log cabin in this area instead of Huntsville, then on to Montreal then to Quebec City then back to Toronto.

The following link may be helpful if this scenario interests you.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g182143-Gananoque_Th…

Once you firm up the route you wish to take, we can help with suggestions on which sites to see in the different cities.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Huntsville
Huntsville
Muskoka District, Canada
Gananoque
Gananoque
Ontario, Canada
Montreal