We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

I’m going to Toronto at the beginning of October with my husband and 6 year old child for 10 days . We‘d like to stay in Toronto for a few days and then hire a car for a few 1-2 days trips. We are going to go to Niagara falls and may be Niagra on the lake for 2 days. Any more suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips not too far for Toronto? I have been just looking for hotels on the Hotwire - which area is better - downtown East or West? Is it worth going to the Wonderland?

Thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

I would suggest going up north to cottage country (places like Bracebridge, Huntsville, etc...) to see the leaves change color. It could be a day trip, or you may want to stay overnight.

All the hotels in the downtown core are close to the major action. Neither area (downtown west or downtown east) is "better" than the other, it just depends on whether you find a hotel that fits what you're looking for.

As for going to Wonderland, it would depend on whether you like rollercoasters, as that's the main theme of the park. It's very much like Thorpe Park and the like from the UK. I would skip it if you're not into big excitement theme rides.

Hope that helps.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

I would echo the Muskoka or Haliburton idea in October. Have to say that Monday Oct 8th is what you call a "Bank Holiday" and we call Thanksgiving Day, so some places will be closed, and the weekend is a big weekend to close up your summer home or cottage as we call them, so Muskoka or Haliburton would be busy that weekend as well as horrific traffic Friday and Monday nights on the various motorways. However, lodging will be easy to come by outside that weekend so no need to book ahead. Just pull into some place you like the look of. My relatives from the UK, always love that trip in October. Sunny days with crisp nights and the colours of the leaves are fantatsic as well as long as we have not had days of rain whch tends to make the fall off early.

If you want a "Theme Park" Marineland in Niagara Falls would be better that "Canada's Wonderland" as it is mainly just a lot of big rides which you can see almost anywhere in the world.

manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

Thanks a lot for your replies.

So it it better to stay for the weekend of 8th in Toronto or travel around?

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

FYI here is the three day trip I use for my UK relatives. From Toronto, go north on Highway 400 to Barrie. From 400 I switch to #11 and go as far as Gravenhurst. At Gravenhurst, switch to #169 through Bala until you reach Glen Orchard. Change here to #118 through Port Carling and back to Bracebridge. This 169/118 route is the 'classic' Muskoka route and it scenic, pretty, winding road, loads of places to stop for pictures and places to eat. From Bracebridge, north on #11 to Huntsville, which is our first nights motel stop. Explore Huntsville in the evening. Next day, from Huntsville north on #11 for a short distance, then east on #60. Follow #60 right through Algonquin Park, until you exit on the east side. Just beyond the town of Whitney, turn south on #127 down to Maynooth. (There is the most fantastic crafts place there..not cheap junk, I mean good quality local artisans work). From Maynooth, take 62 south to Bancroft. Approaching Bancroft you can take a rough road to Eagles Nest lookout to get a wonderful view across the countyside. From Bancroft switch to #28 and head south as far as Paudash and #118 (Not the same 118 as earlier). Follow this into Haliburton Village. Just as descending a very steep hill, make a sharp left up to another fabulous lookout over the countryside. I try to make Haliburton my second night. I recomend the Lakeview Inn on the far west end of town as you are leaving, very comfortable and a great home cooked breakfast in the dining room by the fire. To find the motel, at the lights turn left onto #121. It is about 3 km west past the train, plane and high school, past the supermarket and on your right. Either investigate Haliburton Village that night or leave it for the next morning. Third day, from Haliburton Village head from the Lakeview Inn west on #121 only as far as South Kashagawigamog Drive also numbered #18 into Ingoldsby, a pretty liitle summer holiday village. Just through Ingoldby, switch to #17 and follow it to #1. Follow through Gelert (once a ghost town, but now being revived) until you reach the #121 again. South on #121 until through Kinmount until Fenelon Falls. Stop here to see the famous lock.

Leave Fenelon Falls on #121 for a short distance over a bridge. At the lights turn right onto #8 a short distance until #35. Here turn right and back track north a short distance to Glenarm Road still #8.

Through Argyle and onto #15 (same road different number). At the lights at #12 you can divert right north to gasoline and fast food outlets. Otherwise, turn left and south. At #48 turn right, and follow it as far as #31 Davis Drive. Turn right and eventually you will come to the #404 or known as The Don Valley Expressway. this will take you back into Toronto. If you want only 2 days, then alter as follows. Instead of heading into Algonquin Park take #35 south to Minden, and then follow #121 into Haliburton Village. The Lakeview Inn will be on your left before the vlllage just by Peninsular Drive.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

As far as travelling on the 8th, there is no problem really, but just don't travel on Friday night or Monday night as there is very heavy traffic and loads of tieups which can waste your valuable time. So you can head out Saturday morning all day Sunday and Monday morning. Just don't be trying to leave or enter Toronto on the times I mentioned. But Toronto will also be busy as well as it's the last holiday weekend of the year and all the attractions will be open and bustling. If you going to Niagara Falls that weekend, you will find the traffic heavy on the QEW for all four days (Fri-Mon). If I knew what day you arrive I could advise better. Maybe hit me up at trptld@yahoo.com and I can reply more detailed?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,063 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

Hi;

About a 3 hour drive east of Toronto is the town of Gananoque, The "Gateway to the Thousand Islands".

http://www.visit1000islands.com/

http://www.1000islandsinfo.com/

You can take a bout tour of the 1000 Islands. The Gananoque Boat Line’s website is;

www.ganboatline.com/

Their boats are triple deckers. The two lower levels are enclosed, while the upper deck is wide open.

The 3 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which is in American waters. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

www.boldtcastle.com/

If you decide to stay in Gananoque overnight, I strongly recommend the Islandview Inn Bed & Breakfast, which is located only 1 block from where the tour boats dock.

http://www.islandviewinnbb.com/

On your return trip to Toronto, just 18 miles west of Gananoque is the town of Kingston.

There you won't want to miss Fort Henry. The original Fort Henry was built during the War of 1812, between Canada and the United States.

http://www.forthenry.com/

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

While I agree with all the Muskoka suggestions I think Rescue Team also suggested a beautiful place. Thousand Islands is beautiful and an easy, straightforward drive from Toronto. More to do when you finally arrive. The boat cruises are great and not so much time will be spent in the car for the 6 year old. Enjoy!

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

Hello polzovatel.

My recommendation for a day trip would be to go to St Jacobs, Elora and Almira. Three interesting, beautiful little towns very close to one another. There is something different to see at each town. It is probably a little over an hour drive from Toronto, say an hour and a half to be on the safe sde.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g499298-St_Jacobs_On…

http://www.stjacobs.com/

http://www.elora.info/

Also, Unionville and Kleinburg, are two other gorgeous towns, just north of Toronto (a little less than an hour away).

http://www.kleinburgvillage.com/

http://www.mcmichael.com/

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-d185015/Toron…

manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

Thank you so much for all your replies. I'm arriving in Toronto on Fri,Sep,29 and leaving on Mon, Oct,8 around 19:00- hopefully will be able to get to the airport from downtown Toronto!

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any suggestions for nice 1-2 days trips so far from Toronto

Hello.

You can talk to the concierge or front desk of your hotel, and they can help you arrange for a limo or a taxi to the airport....it is the same fee for either... $50.00. Seeing as it is the same price, a limo would be my first choice.