We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto Zoo

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Toronto Zoo

Hi All... We'll be in the Niagara Falls area this week and plan to spend a day at the Toronto Zoo with our 3 young kids (ages 1, 3 and 6). I assume we'll be spending all day at the Zoo.. am I correct?

What info can you provide me with that would be helpful? Anything we should know before going?? With 3 little ones.. I like to be prepared for anything! LOL

Any fees for parking? Is there a splashpad or wading pool in the Zoo for the kids to play/cool off in? If so, is there an additional fee to use it? About how long does it take to get there from N.F.??

Any and all info would be very helpful!

Thanks in Advance! :o)

Toronto
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto Zoo

I guess make sure you have enough liquids and sunscreen is the best advice, with not much cover at the zoo.

There are parking fees ($8), there should be a splashpad. I couldn't find a fee for it, so I think it's included with the entrance fee.

It will probably be around a 90 to 100 mile drive, so over an hour and a half, close to two hour drive.

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto Zoo

Thanks for the quick reply! And for the parking / splashpad info! :o) Nothing worse than a "surprise" parking fee!! LOL And now I know I can bring along the kids swimsuits, etc.

Are you allowed to brng food and drinks into the Zoo... or must you buy there?

A 2 hr drive was about what I was figuring it to be... is it a fairly easy drive there from N.F. or might we encounter traffic woes?

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto Zoo

Traffic will vary depending on the time of day. You have to go through Toronto, and chances are pretty good that you'll hit traffic somewhere along the line.

According to Google Maps it's almost exactly 100 miles. If you leave NF in the morning, you'll probably catch the tail end of traffic going into the city along the QEW, and then some construction right after you get on the 401 from the 403. So count on two hours or a little more.

For traffic reports, listen to AM 680, which has them every ten minutes.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
32 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto Zoo

You absolutely can bring your own food/drinks to the zoo and I would highly recommend it (the offerings there are less than stellar). Have a great time!

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto Zoo

The Splash Pad is excellent and quite large. There are changing rooms next to it as well.

Eve
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto Zoo

The Zoo is in the East end of Metro Toronto. There is always traffic...give yourself at least two hours of travelling time each way.

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto Zoo

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE -- great replies.. just the answers I was looking for!!

Great info about the travel time... we will plan on 2 hrs both ways and hope we don't run into much traffic!!

Would you suggest a Friday or Saturday to be the better day to go?

And so glad to hear about the Splashpad.. the kids were hoping there was one! We went to Zooz last time and they had a ball at the Splashpad there. So this info is good.. we will hit the pad after going thru the Zoo. Nice way to end the day!

Thanks for the info about food and drinks too -- we will def pack up some coolers to bring with us (can we bring our wagon?) and avoid the costly and often unappetizing choices offered there. LOL

Thanks again for all the help!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto Zoo

It may be too late, but another suggestion if you weren't stuck on the zoo, is Ontario Place. If the kids are more interested in the water park, then Ontario Place is a great option. The park has a huge water park for kids (plus much more) and they definitely allow you to take your own food into the park.

Ontario Place is also on the lakeshore of Toronto, so much less driving time from Niagara Falls.

The admission fee is a little more than the zoo, and parking also costs a fee.

http://www.ontarioplace.com/en/index.html

9. Re: Toronto Zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 06:22