We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit outside Toronto

Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Places to visit outside Toronto

Myself and my husband are staying in Toronto for 10 days from the 16th September. We are then in the country for another 5nights. We were going to stay in Niagara Falls for this duration. However, we then decided we are going to hire a car and were looking at Niagara on the Lake. We prefer hotels to B&B's and the hotels there are just very expensive. Could anyone suggest an alternative to Niagara on the Lake which is near enough to Niagara Falls but less expensive although just as scenic. Also any suggestions for day trips out of Toronto? Anyone know what age you have to be to hire a car (well probable a sports utility)?? Will we see a lot of the fall colours at this time of year. Seeming as i am an avid photographer any really good scenery i should not miss??

Thanks a million!

canada
Level Contributor
7,792 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit outside Toronto

You will find your answers scattered under other topics in this forum. Let me put it this way, you go into a place to see the sights and for its ambience/atmosphere. If its nightlife you want, then you stay in the hotels there; otherwise you can stay an hour away and just go in during daylight hours. This applies to Toronto as well as NF. If one person is obliged to stay in Toronto for meetings etc, you can travel north to Aurora, Barrie, Orillia even Parry Sound; west through Mississauga to Guelph, St Jacobs, Elora, Stratford to London; eastward to Kingston and the 1000 islands.

To rent a car, a full licence at home will usually suffice, provided its in English.

Toronto
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit outside Toronto

Hi irishgal,

Just responded to your other post and if it's fall colours and photography you're interested in (and fishing) then the Muskoka region might be better for you than Niagara on the Lake, as charrming as that can be.

In September the colours will be marvelous and the expense of your accomodations will likely be less north of Toronto. Check out: traveltomuskoka.com

You may not need an SUV unless you are planning on doing off road exploring. Check with the usual rental companies like Hertz, Enterprise or Thrifty for rates and regulations regarding age, insurance etc.

Hope that helps.

Toronto
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit outside Toronto

Hi, and welcome. september is a great time to visit Toronto. August can be muggy in Sept the weather is great the bars and restaurants still have lots of sidewalk patios open for business. There are about 4 million people that live in or around Toronto. Rush hour (ie. 7:00-10:00 am and 3:30 to 6:30 pm) can be daunting if you are not familiar with the city--make sure you have a good road map when you get your rental.

Sounds like you have done a fair bit of research already. Niagara on the Lake is very pretty and home of the GB Shaw Festival--live theatre excellent shows. it is also in the middle of Ontario's very good wine region--lots of winery tours and tastings available. The hotels in the area are expensive, however, I think you will find the B&B's very pleasant. Niagara on the Lake has very stringent guidelines that a B&B must meet before it is granted a license or an annual renewal. We have stayed in B&B's in NotL several times while attending the Shaw and it has become our preferred accomodations. Saint Catherines is a nearby cityperhaps 100,000 people that would have decent hotels Port Dalhousie is a pleasant little lakeport nearby that also might meet your needs.

Niagara Falls is the extreme south end of an escarpment that was formed by passing glaciers it increases in height and ruggedness as it heads north through Hamilton (steel town), Milton, Orangeville, and up to what we call the Bruce Pennisula. The Bruce Pennisula (Wiarton)juts out into Lake Huron--there is a ferry (the Chi-Chi-man sp?)that goes to Manitoulin Island. Most of Southern Ontario is farmland and fairly densly populated--as far as Canada goes. The Rocks and rugged scenery in Ontario start about two hours north of Toronto by car (Huntsville) and then continue for the next 1,000 miles. Very pretty provincial park 2 & 1/2 hours by car north of Toronto (Algonquin Park) lots of very famous paintings by Canadian "Group of Seven" artists from early in the 20th Century were painted there.

If you want to see fall colours--depending on when you arrive--part of the Bruce Escarpment 40 minutes northwest of Toronto--north of Brampton on Highway 10 turn left, towards village of TerraCotta, at base of very large hill heading north--very pleasant valleys, rivers, etc. If you are early in the fall colour season you might consider taking a very famous passenger train further north. AGAWA Canyon up to Moose Factory on James Bay--south end of Hudsons Bay. Check Via Rail or Ontario Northland Railway for schedules. Many of my friends have taken the trip (full day) and found it very scenic.

I have just responded to some other queries re Toronto--you might want to check them.

Enjoy your stay. Toronto is very safe and you will no doubt hear many of the more than 100 languages that are commonly spoken every day in the city. We are a very multicultural city and proud of it.

Tim Hortons is a chain of coffee shops which serve great coffee, sandwiches, donuts etc. I think Canadians are addicted to the coffee. You will find it strange to see how much of an icon it is in our society. Tim Horton was a Toronto Maple Leaf hockey player who died in a car accident in 1967(?) shortly after pioneering the concept. We dont go for coffee we go for "Timmys".

Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit outside Toronto

Thanks for the input. I think I will be at home with the coffee. Since the suggestion of Muskoka I went looking and some of the resorts look fab. I am definately going to go. I was thinking of a lodge/cottage/chalet as my husband would love it. Has anyone any suggestions for resorts that would suit, we would not mind children as long as it is not overrun with them. Just somewhere nice and clean with a good reputation.

I must say I am really looking forward to Canada.

Thanks again

Toronto
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit outside Toronto

Muskoka is a beautiful region of Canada and you'll love it!

I mentioned Grandview Resort (with their website) on your other post since we've always enjoyed it there. The Deerhurst Resort is also near Huntsville and has much to offer. You'll find many B&B type lodges throughout the area though they do tend to be busier with young families. Cleveland House has a wonderful reputation as a resort/lodge, though I've never stayed there. There are a variety of price ranges, meal packages and amenities with each resort, so check some websites and post any questions about specific places that catch your eye. Good luck!

Ireland
Level Contributor
193 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit outside Toronto

Thanks again for your input. Does the Grandview Resort have Cottages/Lodges. They are quite vague on their website and I can only assume that the suites are the cottages. However, they do not have any pictures. If so are they on the lake or in what vicinity of the lake are they?

Thanks again.

Toronto
Level Contributor
328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit outside Toronto

Grandview Resort has several low rise condo type buildings, not cottages so it's more of a hotel/resort/lodge. If a cottage is what you're after, then the Sherwood Inn on the Delta hotels website looks like it might suit your needs.

As well there are lots of other lodge resorts with cabins but I think you may find many of the cottages at resorts are set up for families and come as 2 or 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms etc. so might be much more expensive than just a suite in a resort.

Have a look at Taboo Resort or Inn at Manitou for fun..... Nothing like "roughing it" in the great Canadian north!

Canada
Level Contributor
373 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to visit outside Toronto

Heading even further North you will find Killarney Provincial Park. It is stunning and full of hiking trails. I adore the park/town area.

On the banks of Georgian Bay it is a wonder in the fall. (there is an incredible fish and chips bus there as well)

There are some lovely B&B's as well as cottages available for rent in the area.

Whispering Pines on the Bay (about a 40 minute drive to the Park trails) is where we've stayed. The main house/cottage is operated as a B&B and they also have a guest house if you prefer to be on your own completely. We've stayed and the owners are simply lovely. I found a link to them but it doesn't show the guest house.

http://www.bbcanada.com/7325.html

I recall that canoes were available to rent as well. It's such a pretty area.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to visit outside Toronto

You have to be 25 to rent a car in Ontario.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to visit outside Toronto

hi Frozenrose

where is the fish and chip bus? We visited Goderich two weeks back and went off in search of the famous bus. We were told it was in Kincardine only to find that the bus was in a home hardware car park, didn't sell fish and the burgers and chips were the worst I have ever tasted.

We didn't go downtown Kincardine, this was on the outskirts and we were so disappointed. We will be back next year and would like to try out the real fish and chip bus this time!