We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to dress on the plane?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
How to dress on the plane?

This is probably a stupid question, but I've never travelled during the thick of winter before. I'll be going to Mexico from snowy Toronto in a week or so. What do you typically wear on the plane when you're flying from a very cold climate to a very hot one?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to dress on the plane?

I would dress for Mexico... :)

dont want to carry on a winter coat and sweaters, do ya?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to dress on the plane?

I would wear slacks (cotton, or something lighter than jeans) and a t-shirt or long-sleeved shirt with a sweater or cardigan. Sneakers and socks are lighter than boots, and if you put your sandals in your carry-on bag, you can change your footwear before you land.

It's also a good idea to throw a bathing suit and a pair of shorts in your carry-on bag, just in case you are separated from your luggage, or your room is not ready immediately upon check-in -- in which case you can duck into the washroom and change into your sunbathing gear and hit the beach!

Have fun!

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to dress on the plane?

Even when I'm headed to sunny climes, I still find that the aircraft is usually cold, especially if I'm in a window seat (oh and MOST especially when you're by the emerg exit!). So I wear layers, as suggested above; usually a s/s t-shirt under a cardigan, and a windbreaker in my knapsack. Then, if it's raining in my warm climate, I can keep dry, but it packs down. For pants I have a special pair of "travelling pants"; they're a nice cotton jersey, one step up from a sweat pant (ugh I just don't like those); means I don't need a belt, which usually just hasta come off at the xray machine. Slip on shoes, same reason. I liked the idea above about flops and b-suit in the bag...

toronto,on
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to dress on the plane?

I agree with the others. I wear a light pair of summer cotton pants and a T shirt. I wear a light jacket, and running shoes.. and run like crazy into the airport before I freeze!

Yes, definately take a bathing suit and flip flops in your carry on. IF you luggage is lost , you can still sit by the pool. Who needs anything else??

Have a good time!

Toronto
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How to dress on the plane?

One time I flew to the Bahamas and I left my winter coat and boots in some kind of locker at Pearson Airport. I don't know if they still have them but it was great not having to carry them.

Toronto
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How to dress on the plane?

Yes, they still have it.

gtaa.com/en/travellers/connecting/baggage/

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to dress on the plane?

Hi LoveToGetAway

When I travel I like wearing lululemon pants. They are the most comfortable pants, and they look really nice. If you have never tried lululemons before, you will not believe how super comfortable they are. There is a lululemon store in the Eaton Centre, Yorkdale, Sherway Gardens, Queen Street West and on Bloor and a few other areas of the city.

The lululemon items are extremely well made. I have a pair that are a few years old and they look brand new. If you tell them at the store what you want them for, they will suggest the proper pair. There are lululemons available that are suitable for cooler climates, some for warmer and some for both. You can dress them up or down, whichever suits the occasion. They look equally good with running shoes, sandals or dress shoes. Also, some if the pants have little pockets for credit cards and so forth. And if you really want to go all out, get yourself a matching or co-ordinating hoody and it will make for a really smart looking outfit and you you will be tres comfortable!

lululemon.com/products/…still_pant

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to dress on the plane?

is someone driving you? if so just hand him your winter coat and boots and pull shoes out of your carry on lol...

or use the lockers..great idea..

I always pack everything i need in my carry on that i would need to live with if my luggage was lost...needless to say that list has been whittled down due to all these new "precautions" that really are a pain in the culo...

what i like to do is pack a pair of shorts or 3/4 pant with a short sleeve shirt and end up changing in the airplane bathroom 3/4's of the way there...

beats sweating to death lol

Notherndecorator...do you work for lululemons? lol...thanks for the link :)

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to dress on the plane?

pinamimi....no I don't work for lululemon I just really love there stuff for travelling. I even got my husband onto their clothes for road trips. Take care. : )

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to dress on the plane?

lol that's great!my hubby is a little redneckish so i don't know how far i'd get trying to get him in a pair lol.. i've been perusing their site and i think im going to get myself a couple of pairs..being comfortable during flight is #1.