We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to NY from Toronto?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to NY from Toronto?

what airport in Canada is closest to NY?

I heard you can drive to NY fairly easy.

I would like to go with my husband and can fly anywhere WestJet flies fairly easy.

thanks for your help in advance.

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to NY from Toronto?

Do you mean NYC or the state of New York? The major Canadian airport closest to Buffalo and Niagara falls is Pearson (Toronto), but NYC is another 8 hours east. You can also fly to Ottawa, but that saves you only about an hour of driving and the flights are much more expensive.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to NY from Toronto?

New York City is a long way from any Canadian airport: six hours from Montreal, nine hours from Toronto. Given that you'd have to rent a car, spend two half-days on the road, and pay for parking in NYC, you're better off flying direct. I did a random search on Travelocity.ca, and it looks like you can fly direct from Calgary to NYC for about $600 on many airlines, especially Air Canada/United. Westjet from Calgary to Montreal is hardly less.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to NY from Toronto?

If you happen to have credit on WestJet and want to use them for your travel plans, then I'd fly to Toronto and drive to NYC. The drive through Buffalo is easy, about 8.5 hrs, and will offer you some flexibility if you did want to shop and bring things home....

Some NYC hotels offer lower rates for parking offsite so it doesn't have to break the bank. We stayed at the Belvedere and would recommend it for location (easy drive in, and great for sights) and amentities:

http://www.belvederehotelnyc.com/

Caledon, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to NY from Toronto?

If you get stuck at the brdige to the usa the trip to new york city could be closer to 14 hours it's happen to me a few times. Fly to NYC don't drive!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,539 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to NY from Toronto?

Hi Cooper1;

Here are the distances, to New York City;

From Toronto, approx. 492 miles / 791 km.

From Ottawa, approx. 441 miles / 710 km.

From Montreal, approx. 377 miles / 607 km.

I hope that helps.

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to NY from Toronto?

thanks so much all.

I work at WestJet, so, traveling with WJ is a bit less expensive for me and the only way I would go was if going through a Canadian airport.

I had heard it was only a couple of hours drive... much more than I thought though in reality, might have to consider flying direct some other time.

Thanks again for all the info, appreciate it.

7. Re: Drive to NY from Toronto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 03:19