We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

I am traveling to Canada for the first time in June. Originally I was planning on being in Toronto for 2 days around the 23rd. Then I discovered that it would be Gay Pride week and I am concerned that the availability of motels might not be plentiful. Do you think I will have trouble finding a Hotel without a reservation? Should I reschedule for a different week? The reason I am not wanting to reserve a room prior is that my family would like to spend a week in Canada and we want to visit several destinations during that time and I do not know how many days to allow for each destination.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,143 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

Hi;

You could spend an entire week on Toronto, and still have plenty of things to see and do!

Gay Pride week is very busy, so if you are planning to stay in downtown Toronto, I would either make reservations, or choose another week to visit.

Where else in Canada are you planning to go on this trip ? Perhaps we could help you with those plans as well.

Best Regards

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

If you're going to be in TO for Pride week, you so definitely wanna ensure you have a hotel space booked. That's a gigantic tourism draw for this city, so it does use up a LOT of space. Right up there with the film fest. Unless you're specifically coming to be part of Pride week, if you have the option of a different week, you might want to go for the less busy time.

Having said that, once you get into the end of June, you are into prime tourism season. Can you find a place? Well, probably. But I'm not sure how much time you want to spend driving around to find a hotel...if this is the way you normally travel with family, and you're comfortable with it, then I say more power to ya! Me? With my kids? I wouldn't chance it. Heard too many of my mother in law's stories about driving around trying to find a place when my hubby was a kid!!

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

If I moved my date to the week prior to the Gay Price week or the 2nd week in July do you think I would still need a reservation? My travel thoughts were that we would spend 2 days at Niagara Falls, 2 days at Toronto, 2 days at Montreal. Unfortunately, the 2 days at Montreal has to include driving time there. Is 2 days at Niagara to much?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,143 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

Hi;

Personally, I think 1 day in Niagara Falls is sufficient.

July will be busier, and you may find it harder to book a hotel in Niagara Falls, and possibly Toronto as well.

IMHO, I think you’re trying to squeeze too much into one week’s time. Montreal is at least a 6 hour drive from Toronto. Perhaps you should consider dropping it from your itinerary, and focus more time in Toronto.

Best Regards

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

Thank you for the advice. It sounds like I may need to re-think my travel plans.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

BTW, Rugrats was always my kids' favourite!

Niagara Falls is a bit like Venice or Taj Mahal; once you've experienced the falls (the cave, the Maid of the Mist), the rest of it is really window dressing, so truly, one day in Niagara Falls would do, although two days allows you to also visit the neighbouring Niagara on the Lake and our wine industry area. Two days in Toronto will maybe get you to Kensington Market or the CN Tower and a stroll through the Eaton Centre, but you're really not getting the flavour of the city. Same with Montreal; it's too cool a place to just drive through, which is essentially what you'd be doing with driving from Toronto. Niagara is closer to Toronto, so perhaps you want to do Niagara first for 2 days, and then take your remaining 5 days in Toronto. Here's another alternative: 1 day Niagara, 3 days Toronto, 3 days Ottawa, which is not as far as Montreal. Ottawa's a great town, our nation's capitol...

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

rugrats_reptar.

I would not chance going to Toronto without a hotel reservation in any of the summer months. The good thing is most hotels have a pretty decent cancellation policy. So you could book now and then if your plans change you can cancel or reschedule. Some hotels you can still cancel up to 4:00 p.m. on the day of your arrival without penalty, Whereas other's require 24 hour notice and some require 48 hour notice with no penalty. Just make certain when you book you ask what their cancellation policy is. Now if you were booking a hotel at an online discount site, this probably will not apply, their policies will probably be different so be sure to check on that as well.

Good luck!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

I agree with the above poster. Don't take a chance on coming here with family and not booking a room in advance at any time.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

Thank you all for your comments & advice (I need it!!). My problem is wanting to experience the most of Canada with the short amount of time I have which means having to split up a couple of days for each city. I am taking your advice and planning on booking reservations. I am still undecided as to how many days to allow for each city (Toronto & Montreal). We would really like the tour the old historic parts of the cities as our primary agenda for visiting. It seemed like Montreal had more historic areas than Toronto but possibly I am wrong??

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will I be able to find a hotel in June without a reservation

No, I think you've got it right. Seems to me whenever we get close to something historic, we tear it down and put condos up instead...