We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Path?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Path?

I've been reading about the Path system in Toronto. Can anyone direct me to a list of shops in the PATH, or does one even exist?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Path?

Good question, but no, I don't think there is such a list. The problem is that the PATH isn't owned by any one company -- it connects many buildings with many different owners, all of whom rent space to stores independently.

The official site, http://www.toronto.ca/path/, has some facts and links to a map, but that only has the name of each building.

Any list of stores would be dominated by the stores in the Eaton Centre, a major mall that's connected to the PATH. Their store list is here: www.torontoeatoncentre.com/store/index.ch2 .

The rest of the PATH is known for being a bit repetitive -- there are probably dozens of newsstands, battery stores, etc. Were you looking for something in particular?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Path?

Oops, that's http://www.toronto.ca/path/ .

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Path?

TB2, PATH is a system of underground walkways pretty much throughout the financial section of Toronto. If I'm not mistaken you can get from Union Station (the main commuter station in Toronto) almost all the way up to the Eaton Centre.

Having said that, I personally hate PATH. It is not well signed, and unless you know exactly where you're going (i.e. you're headed off to one of the main biz towers in Toronto, Scotia Plaza, Royal Bank Plaza, TD Bank Towers), it is very very easy to get lost. After 5 pm the place is virtually deserted, and many of the shops don't even open on the weekends because there is nobody down there. Twice in the last 3 months I've had to go down there, and I get totally twisted around because I cannot see the horizon (okay, Rescue's gonna laugh at me now, cuz my geographic deficit disorder is common knowledge here at TA). And as previous poster pointed out, there are a LOT of coffee & newsstands; how many of those does one need? Stick to above ground, there are far more interesting place to see here!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,983 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Path?

Hi;

As much as we joke about Flyinmom being “directionally challenged”, I must say that the “PATH” signage borders on minimal.

Even for those of us who know “the lay of the land”, it can be challenging. Retail therapy shouldn’t be stressful.

As MattinTO pointed out, you can do just as well shopping at the Eaton Centre, without the fear of getting lost.

Best Regards

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Path?

I've endured the PATH many times; I also agree. Stay above ground if at all possible. Nothing special for shops below. Signage is indeed minimal and confusing.

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Path?

Agreed with what the others say. PATH is neat in concept but not well implemented. I used to use it when I worked at Yonge/Dundas and had to walk to union station, if it was raining then I would take the PATH. It is extremely confusing and I got lost several times having to pop outside at the nearest exit to get my bearings. I suppose it's still better than walking in the rain or -30 degree weather :)

poodleville TO
Level Contributor
674 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Path?

Path has its benefuts as most mentioned and that's when the weather is, well lets just say not nice.

I think its really for those who work in the financial district and need to grab a quick coffee or lunch. I have used it when on a course downtown and did find it useful because I could wander around without having to take a coat in the winter. It did take me right into the Eaton Center which was also a benefit.

Caledon, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Path?

I only use the path during the cold winters.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Path?

Just so out-of-towners don't get the wrong impression: it's pretty heavily used by the people it's primarily designed for -- those who work in the financial district and take the same route every day. (There's an expansion planned because current routes near Union are reaching capacity.) You don't see a lot of vacant storefronts in the PATH either, and I doubt those rents are cheap. But it's not downtown's most interesting collection of shops, that's for sure.

Flyinmom, you can make it all the way to the Eaton Centre -- in fact, you can walk from Union to the bus terminal at Bay and Dundas without stepping outside. (Of course, it's faster to take the subway.) The route will get shorter and a little easier when a new building under construction fills in a missing link from the early 90s.

TravelBoo2, I can understand why you might want to see what all the fuss is about, in which case I'd suggest the part of the PATH just north of Union Station as the most typical. You can pop up to street level when you're bored, lost, or both. And if you want the local equivalent of Pamplona's running with the bulls, try walking through at rush hour against the flow of traffic. :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Path?

I won't repeat what others have said, but the path is much easier to navigate if you remember the colour coding of the arrows on the signs overhead:

Blue = North

Yellow = East

Red = South

Orange = West