We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearby Camping

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Nearby Camping

My partner and I may only have a regular weekend to go camping this year, so we're looking for somewhere within a two hour drive so that we could at least get up there by Friday night for dinner.

Does anyone have any reccomendations of a place that is relatively close by, but still a nice camping experience? (Ie: well treed sights, a nice lake, etc.). I'm not talking about those family campgrounds with grassy open areas.

Has anyone been to Balsam Lake, Craighleith, Macgregor Point provincial parks and have any thoughts?? Anywhere else you can think of?

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearby Camping

Just moving this up...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearby Camping

balsam lake is a really good campsite. we live east of toronto and it took us 1.5 hours. easy to go up on a friday night after work. sites get booked up fast.

macgregor point would be 3+ hours drive and friends have recommended it to us.

go onto the ontario parks website and choose the sites closest to you. we will try emily provincial park soon.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearby Camping

I think the swimming is great at Craigleith, but it is a narrow park that runs between the lake and Hwy 26. Most in not all sights are visible and quite close to the highway.

We like Sharbot Lake (northwest of Kingston) particularly sight number 1. It is quiet and very private. There is a somewhat steep short trail right down to the lake where you can swim in relative privacy. Only good for tents though.

Earl Rowe (near Alliston) has some nice sights, but the lake is small and not really clean. They have one of those big one acre pools for swimming though. The bonus to this park is how close it is to the city of course.

Presquille (near Brighton) has some nice sights, and the swimming in the lake is pretty good. We stayed at a sight once that was right on the water - a short 15 feet or so through the brush and you were on the beach. Nice falling asleep and waking up to the sound of the waves.

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearby Camping

Thanks so much for the reccomendations! I'll check those out! :)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearby Camping

you asked about Mcgregor in your first post, great park, sheltered sites so you're neighbours don't see every move you make, nice beach with clean water. Point Farm which is down the highway a bit is also good.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearby Camping

Sibbald Point has some nice sites but it's busy on the weekends. You will find that all the nice sites in most parks are already booked for the summer weekends. Awenda is nice quite park, my choice for weekend camping not too far from home.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearby Camping

Palapi, this site should help: www.ontarioparks.com/english/index.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearby Camping

I like Balsam Lake, and sharbot Lake Prv Park (but it is a good 3 hrs from TO) and Emily Park is good too.

If you decide Sharbot Lake, there are some walk in sits near the entrance to the walking trails that are pretty private too.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
517 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nearby Camping

Might I also suggest Awenda?

Hamilton Ontario
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nearby Camping

Hey palapi

I have been to Macgregor many,many times, and it is very beautiful with nice private sites with lots of trees. As most of the parks are pretty much booked for the weekends Macgregor has a whole loop of first come first serve sites.It has two beautiful beaches the best being in the Nipissing campsites.(This is also where the loop of first come sites are.)

Best sunset on Lake Huron.

Awesome bike trails and walking trails and close to Port Elgin.

You can also check out Inverhuron(another 20 minutes south) but it is always booked.

Have been to Awenda once in the fall and liked it too.

Six Mile could also be an option.

I'm heading to Grundy in 8 weeks for two whole weeks to try out our new canoe the kids got us for Christmas!!!!!!Can't wait.

Happy camping!!!!!!

Deb

PS Highly recommend a reservation for the week end though. Would not want you to drive all that way and be disapointed.