We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto International festival

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto International festival

Quite a few years ago while working in Mississauga, I attended a International Festival in Toronto. The event was held over a weekend and at various venues throughout the city. I recall having to purchase a 'passport' and that allowed you into each venue. The various countries represented had examples of their food, craft, music etc. It was great and I've always wanted to attend again. Do they still hold the festival?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto International festival

Hi;

Perhaps you are thinking of Carassauga ?

www.carassauga.com

This year's festival was held in May.

Best Regards

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto International festival

I definitely remember being in downtown Toronto for many of the events. I'll check out the url you provided and see if it sounds similar.

Thanks

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto International festival

That would be Toronto Caravan, a June staple in the city for many years, but now, thankfully, just a memory of a long-ago time when "multiculturalism" was considered a novelty.

Your recollection is correct - the passports, the food, the crafts, the folk dancing. Now you can find all these things (except perhaps the folk dancing) year round, in the daily fabric of the city. And that's a great thing.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto International festival

The World Routes festival at Harbourfront Centre (www.harbourfrontcentre.com/worldroutes/) offers entertainment on a particular theme each summer weekend, and they do have a "World Cafe" and "International Marketplace" for the food and crafts.

But as Estragon suggests, there's plenty to see beyond any organized festivals. Little Italy and Little India are only a streetcar ride apart, 365 days a year.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto International festival

Not to mention, on the same College streetcar line that MattinTO mentions, Kensington Market, two Chinatowns (which include lots of Vietnamese places), Little Portugal, a bit of Brazil, etc.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto International festival

Thank you for the information.

7. Re: Toronto International festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 09:19