We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Days In Toronto

Calgary
2 posts
Save Topic
Three Days In Toronto

Hello,

In early August I will be travelling with my family of four (we have two kids ages 15 & 10). The first leg of our trip we will be arriving in Toronto in the afternoon and the kids are eager to see Niagara Falls so we will be driving (we're renting a car) to Niagara and staying there for a night but will be back in Toronto for three more nights. We are thinking of booking the Bond Hotel in downtown Toronto. Is this a good hotel?

Also, I have read of the Toronto CityPass which allows you access to 6 major attractions (CN Tower, Art Gallery of Ontario, Ontario Science Center, Toronto Zoo, Royal Ontario Museum and Casa Loma). Is this pass a good value or are we better off picking and choosing certain sights by themselves?

Can you recommend any good family friendly restaurants and other sights that are a must see? Thank you for your help. =) This board is great!

NB
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Days In Toronto

We just got back from Toronto. We stayed at the Renaissance Skydome Hotel - the rooms were large and the staff was excellent. It was in a really good location.

We really enjoyed eating at the Hard Rock Cafe at the Skydome. The staff was very friendly and we watched the ball players practice. The kids really enjoyed it. We also had a tour of the Skydome and found it very interesting.

Hope you have as much fun in Toronto as we did

Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Days In Toronto

A couple of restaurant suggestions: Boom Breakfast and Company (808 College) serves fantastic breakfast/brunches (just get there early to avoid the line, or go on a weekday). Shopsy's is right downtown and a Toronto institution. I don't know if you have the Milestones chain in Calgary, but it's a great family restaurant -- they have a kids' menu and very good adult fare. There's at least one Milestones downtown. If you go to the Art Gallery, have a meal in Chinatown. I don't have any specific restaurant recommendations there, but the Chinatown experience is fun.

Think about a visit to the St. Lawrence Market on Front Street. They sell a fantastic array of food there and you can have a quick bite from one of the stalls.

My kids are a bit younger than yours (7 and 10), but hopefully some of these will work for you, too. Toronto's a great city -- hope you have fun!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Days In Toronto

Forget Casa Loma! There's really nothing to see. All the furniture in the place is relativly new, NO Antiques and the admission is overpriced. . There are so many better places to see in TO.

markham
Level Contributor
286 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Days In Toronto

check out www.toronto.com for attractions and restaurants..but do try someting different..we have so many restaurants with ciusine from around the world ..be open minded try one..you will be surprised the great tastes

toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Days In Toronto

Hello Silverstars, I wouldn't recommend the CityPass for your children. I think your kids are a bit old for some of these venues...I think they'v would have a great time at Canada's Wonderland...huge amusement park with great rides and water park (get discounted tickets at Shoppers Drug Mart). It is north of the city and no problem if you're renting a car. Full day excursion (get there first thing in the morning....remember where you park...has in and out priviledges so you can bring your own food....food inside isn't too expensive....you MUST try the funnel cakes....just amazing)

The Science Centre is terrific, very hands on and there is an Omni Max theatre with great films showing throughout the week. (can see it in a half a day)

The Zoo is fantastic and now has a waterpark to help you stay cool.

The CN tower is a must. Make sure it's a clear day and I'd go early to avoid line ups.

You can drive by Casa Loma but it's not worth the time or money to go inside. Also, it's undergoing renovations right now.

I love the Art Gallery but this may not be something the kids are interested in right now.

Museum....again depending on your childrens' interests you may want to pass on this as well.

I'd recommend Ontario Place. This venue also has a great theatre (huge inside). Again, has amusement like attractions.

Shopping....you've got to go to the Eaton Centre.

Family restaurants. If you like seafood, great place on King St. across from Roy Thompson Hall. Old Spaghetti Factory...not the greatest food but a neat experience. Milestones.

Haven't heard of the Bond Hotel.

Our transit sytem is great and can get you to most of the above mentioned destinations easily. You've only 3 days so you'll need to carefully decide what you want to do. Not sure if you've heard but our summer has been incredibly hot so you may want to start your days outside, early to avoid as much of the heat as possible.

Have a great time in T.O.!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Days In Toronto

I've stayed in several hotels in Toronto, but not at Bond Place. I'd suggest the Courtyard by Marriott. The rooms are large and clean, and a good value. Location is also central.

The Ontario Science Center is great. The CN Tower is also neat, but often have long waits (could be difficult for teens). I've heard the ferry ride to /from Toronto Island is nice.

Calgary
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Days In Toronto

Thanks for all your advice =) I have a lot to think about!

North Coast...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Days In Toronto

We will be in Toronto in late Oct. and I've been looking at B&Bs & vacation rentals in different neighborhoods:

- in the Cabbagetown area,

- in The Village, and

- in The Annex.

My conference is at the Sheraton Centre, so I would like to be not be more than 30 min. away in terms of public transportation, but I would also like the convenience of being able to walk to shops, restaurants from where we are staying. Any recommendations?

Bradford, Ontario
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Days In Toronto

Silverstars: I agree with the Courtyard Marriott at College and Yonge, good location, close to the subway. Also the Strathcona, on the edge of the entertainment district is near alot of restaurants, Hockey Hall of Fame and easy to get to the Gardiner Expressway, QEW to Niagara. Wonderland is great but will take a whole day from your trip. If you have amusement parks at home, don't bother. CN Tower is a must. Bond Place doesn't have the best rep. Also, Caribana is on, ending August 1, so hotels will be limited if you're coming then. Make sure to make use of the Subway to get away, passes can be purchased for the family and it's very inexpensive and you might hit one of those 'tour bus' trips on your first day to get the lay of the land. Have fun. We're on our way to Alberta-Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff next week!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three Days In Toronto

mtntulips, if your conference is at the Sheraton Centre, you may want to look closely to the Annex. It is on the west side and an easy ride down University Avenue (or on the subway). Besides, the Annex is also where most of the students from U of T hang out and there are lots of convenient establishments open until late at night (including a 24 hour grocery store)