We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental agreements

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
42 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Rental agreements

Hi

My family of 4 are coming to Toronto in August, we have our route planned and now need a hire car, we are very worried about what is not covered in the event of an accident or mishap. I do not know if we are reading the small print correctly but it seems that no matter what extras you purchase including excess waiver insurance, the driver is still responsible for the windows, windscreen, underside, interior, the roof, tyres, antennas, car lock, windscreen wipers, mirrors, jack, hubcab, alloys, lights and fuel errors.

It is our first time hiring a car in Canada, but we have done so many times in USA and never noticed the above exclusions.

Can anyone help in clarifying the situation for us, and to recommend the company with the best insurance coverage.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental agreements

Well, there are exclusions, especially taking the car off road into a field to have a picnic for example. (Damage the underside). However, I have rented cars in the UK and Europe. As far as I recall, the 'glass' is never included. Also, the tires (tyres) as well, since you could remove them and sell them and put old used tires back on. Also, open the trunk (boot) and check that the spare tire is there. If it isn't, and you return it, and they check..you're going to be out the price of replacing it. Learned this sad lesson in France!!! The basic insurance covers what a regular car insurance covers. It doesn't cover excessive interior damage, loss of windshield (windscreen) wipers, hubcaps etc. etc.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,103 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental agreements

Hi Margaret2;

Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) is a fee that is charged to reduce your liability incase of loss or damage to the rental vehicle. If the car is damaged or stolen you will only be liable for a set amount (i.e. $2000) rather than the full value of the car.

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is similar, but limited to collisions. Again, it reduces your liability from the full value of the car, to a set amount. (i.e. $2000)

I hate to pay the added fees, but consider it cheap insurance if something was to go wrong.

Some credit cards have car rental insurance coverage as a feature. Check with your credit card issuer.

The contracts are about the same from one company to another, among the larger car rental companies. Here are some of the larger car rental companies, which IMHO is the safest way to go.

Avis - www.avis.ca

Budget - www.budget.ca

Discount - www.discountcars.ca

Enterprise - www.enterpriserentacar.ca

Hertz - www.hertz.ca

National - www.nationalcar.ca

Thrifty - www.thrifty.com

The rare time that I need a rental car I use Avis or Budget.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental agreements

Rescue team is correct -- best bet is a "Gold Credit Card" or like, and decline all added insurance. These cards typically have coverage for rental vehicles -- some exclusions like high end vehicles, 4WD vehicles, trucks, etc., but for your run of the mill rental, this is the best bet. check your card agreement.

if something happens, your card gets initially charged, you receive a bill and file a claim with the card issuer. the whole thing takes about four to five weeks, and you are fully reimbursed. they even pay for cracked windshields. just ensure you get a police report and file a claim on returning the car to the airport, and obtain a copy of the claim report with the rental agent's signature.allow a good hour for this process.

Kent,England
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental agreements

Hi Margaret,

To be honest with you I didn't read the small print at all. The only thing I remember is Hertz asking me if I wanted to pay another $100 or so to reduce the excess from $300 to zero. I declined as the holiday is costly enough and I'd already forked out enough in the first place.Hope you get on ok with your trip, don't worry about it, just enjoy it.

5. Re: Rental agreements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 07:20