We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental or alternative transport

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
S Yorkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental or alternative transport

Any advice appreciated please. After staying with friends in Blenheim we will be visiting in downtown Toronto for a couple of nights before flying back to the UK. We need a car to get to Blenheim but is it worth keeping it for our whole stay ie use it to get from Blenheim to the hotel and then back to the aiport. Or should we drop the car back at the aiport and then make our way into Toronto for the last 2 days. I don't want to keep a car sat in a car park just for the sake of it. I'm looking at the Holiday Inn Express does it have an airport shuttle connection? Thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental or alternative transport

Hi wensday;

You don’t mention which Holiday Inn Express you will be staying at…

• HIE Downtown

• HIE Toronto East

• HIE Toronto Markham

• HIE Toronto North York

• HIE Toronto Airport

With that information we can be of more assistance.

In general, you can get around to most attractions using public transit. (bus, streetcar, subway)

Best Regards

S Yorkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental or alternative transport

I haven't booked yet but I was interested in the HIE downtown. It looks to be within walking distance to most things? We like a good walk and would be particularly interested in the Entertainment District. Thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental or alternative transport

Hi wensday;

As you wish to be close to the entertainment district, I would suggest the Holiday Inn on King Street. The HIE Downtown Toronto is located about 1 mile to the east of the entertainment district.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155019-d181946…

The airport is approx. 18 miles / 28 km from downtown Toronto. I don’t believe either hotel offers an airport shuttle service.

A taxi would be $46 or a limo $50. Both are flat rated plus gratuity. Your other option would be the Airport Express Bus, which will drop you at the HI on King Street.

http://www.torontoairportexpress.com/

Best Regards

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental or alternative transport

I would not not stay at Holiday Inn Express on Lombard - because of its location between St James Park and Moss Parks. My concern with those 2 parks is homeless and drugs at night.

Holiday Inn on King is indeed a great alternative - especially with your interest of the Entertainment district.

You may find that you can get a rental car at Pearson, then return it to a downtown location - no extra fee. Additionally, you could rent a car downtown and drop at the airport same day if you wanted. If it's a weekend, prices can be quite reasonable.

Only airport hotels offer a shuttle. Downtown hotels often suggest the Pacific Western Airport Express (link in the reply above).

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental or alternative transport

Once you get here, your friends in Blenheim will be able to offer you 'real time' advice. However, (considering that I live 30 miles from Blenheim) I would say this. You will definitely need a car to get to Blenheim given that it has neither bus or train service. (The closest being Chatham to the north) unless your friends are picking you up. Considering the annoyance and waste of time and the added cost of returning the car to the airport before heading downtown, it probably is worth the extra to arrange to return the car downtown. If you use any of the big rentals companies, they all have downtown locations to drop the car off at. Coming into Toronto outside of rush hour, while not a 'piece of cake' is not difficult, and your friends (or their neighbours) will offer big time hints on how to do it with ease. Also, very few downtown hotel locations offer free parking, so that cost has to be considered as well. To go back to the UK, a taxi from downtown will run the equivalent of 25 - 30 quid. Have a great visit. Its lovely here right now, and in a week, the leaves will be in full glory.

S Yorkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental or alternative transport

Thanks for the advice. The idea of dropping the car off downtown seems a sensible option. That would leave us just to get to the aiport from downtown for the flight back. Also the info about the Holiday Inn on King street is good, The location looks more convenient for the Entertainment District.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental or alternative transport

There's really nothing wrong with the location of the Holiday Inn Express at Lombard and Jarvis. Yes, there is more than a fair share of small-time drug trade and homeless people in one direction (northeast), but it's also just a couple of blocks from the St. Lawrence neighbourhood, some of the best restaurants in the city, and a bunch of perfectly good and safe bars.

And I bet it's way cheaper than the Holiday Inn on King, though the King St. location is indeed much closer to the (vastly overrated) Entertainment District.

A flat-rate airport taxi from either Holiday Inn will be $42 plus tip. Ask the hotel to book you an airport taxi and not a city taxi.

(I just found a rate calculator here: http://www.aeroporttaxi.com/rates.jsp )

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental or alternative transport

The Airport Express bus does a pick up at HI on King; a one way ride = $18.50pp. Very reliable, comfortable big bus; they stop at several downtown hotels, been around for years.

torontoairportexpress.com/pdf/AirportExpress…

I believe it's actually cheaper for you to drop the car in downtown than out the airport, but you'll need to do your own investigation to see if that's right.

9. Re: Car rental or alternative transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 16:18