We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

Hi everyone. I'm coming over to TO again for 6 days next month and have used up my remaining Aeroplan miles to rent an SUV with which we want to drive down to Niagara Falls. Can anybody tell me how strenuous/fraught the drive is (for those of us used to driving on the left hand side of the road!)? We're picking up the car downtown and hoping to stop off en-route at various places of interest etc. Any suggestions as to where to visit would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

Toronto to Niagara Falls is about an hour by car, unless you hit rush-hour traffic. Once you're on the Gardiner (Toronto motorway, which is called the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) west of downtown), it's really not difficult at all. I found that, when driving on the "wrong" side of the road, motorways (we call them highways here) were far easier than city driving.

As far as points of interest go, there really isn't much until you hit the Niagara region, around St. Catharines. There are lots of wineries, pretty scenery along the Niagara Escarpment (escarpment.org/landplanning/…index.php), etc. Niagara-on-the-Lake (http://www.niagaraonthelake.com) is also worth a visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
263 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

We had a car booked to drive down to Niagara On The Lake from Toronto but after seeing the amount of traffic on the day we flew in and around the city we decided to get a bus down to Niagara Falls area and pick the car up from down there.We found that there was not much to see on the way day there.Once we picked up the car it did not take us long to get used to driving on the other side of the reoad either.The Niagara Parkway is a lovely drive with some very nice winery's and tourist stops along it.Niagara On The Lake is well worth a visit and if the Whirlpool Jetboats are running go on them because it is great fun.Niagara Falls are just brilliant and the fireworks are well worth hanging around for.Have a great trip.

Toronto
Level Contributor
340 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

Hi Sabanelli:

Traffic can get bad around Toronto, but once away from the downtown proper, we find the worst culprit to be as you pass Ford Drive in Oakwille, west of the city, since two highways merge on a large curve at this point (fondly known as the "Oakville Choke"). However, if you are going directly to Niagara from the airport you can avoid this busy section of road by taking the 407 west, which will bring you as far southwest as Burlington, missing Oakville altogether. Keep in mind, though, that the 407 is a toll highway (no toll booths; charges will automatically apply), but your rental car company will likely offer a transponder for you to use then bill you for your 407 usage. Being a toll highway, the 407 is usually blissfully light on traffic.

On your way to Niagara you can stop at the Welland Canal locks (this is the route ships take to get around the Falls), any of the fabulous Niagara Region wineries, Niagara-on-the-Lake, or the Butterfly Conservatory.

Have a great trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

I went there a couple of years back & drove from Toronto to Niagara & it was fine. At the time I hadn't driven much on the right but soon picked it up & I was driving a people carrier with 7 people in it. We stayed the night in a motel down there but a day will be fine if you make an early start. Would recommend the Maid of the mist boat ride & a trip in a helicopter over the falls. Could be worth trying to book before you go so you don't miss out. Niagara is a bit tacky but well worth a visit. You might also want to try the ghost houses they have there, had 7 25yr old men screaming like girls!!! Enjoy

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,808 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

Unfortunately, Maid of the Mist and the Jetboats will be closed for the winter.

Fireworks Over the Falls during the Festival of Lights are: Sat. Nov.8 at 6:15 and 8:00, and every Friday after that, during Nov. and Dec., at 9:00. www.wfol.com

Plymouth
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

Thanks everyone for your info and advice. Unfortunately, we'll miss the fireworks as we're travelling down for the day to Niagara on Thursday, Nov 13th. We anticipate leaving TO around 0945 and being back in town around 7pm, hopefully avoiding the worst of the rush-hour traffic in both directions! BTW, are we likely to see any snow whilst we're over there (11-16 Nov)? Really hope so! Our current, provisional itinerary is:

11th - pm arrive, check in at the Sheraton and recover from the Air Transat flight(!)

12th - CN Tower, Church Street, Eaton Centre, Downtown stuff

13th - Niagara Falls

14th - Kensington Market, St.Lawrence Market, Unionville 'Midnight Madness'

15th - St Jacob's organised tour

16th - Santa Claus Parade then airport for our evening departure to London.

I really hope we have time for everything!!

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

Lisa and Steve, in many years of renting cars in Toronto, I have never been offered a 407 transponder. Instead, the rental agreement specifies that the renter is responsible for all 407 charges - which means that a few weeks or months after your rental an exorbitant charge appears on your credit card, probably including a service charge from the rental company.

Just in case, I checked the websites of Hertz and Avis, the two largest companies, which I never use. There was no mention anywhere of a 407 transponder option.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

Hi Sebanelli,

**Snow** is as you know a weather phenomena, and as such it is highly unpredictable. Typically it snows somewheres between October 15th and December 15th, with Eastern Canada's average being the first week of December when it "sticks" around for the season.

There is a good chance none-the-less, that you will see snow in some format... it will be cold enough, that if the conditions are right you may see flurries in the air, or on the ground, but they may melt as quick as they come.

On the otherhand... I have heard that the "Farmer's Almanac" is saying we are in for a early winter... so you may just be here to see a full-out snow storm (although as a resident, who saw record-breaking snow last year, I certainly hope not).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

Hi Sebanelli,

**Snow** is as you know a weather phenomena, and as such it is highly unpredictable. Typically it snows somewheres between October 15th and December 15th, with Eastern Canada's average being the first week of December when it "sticks" around for the season.

There is a good chance none-the-less, that you will see snow in some format... it will be cold enough, that if the conditions are right you may see flurries in the air, or on the ground, but they may melt as quick as they come.

On the otherhand... I have heard that the "Farmer's Almanac" is saying we are in for a early winter... so you may just be here to see a full-out snow storm (although as a resident, who saw record-breaking snow last year, I certainly hope not).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto to Niagara Falls By Car

Hi, Seb,

Re: your proposed itinerary, not sure what takes you to Church Street mid-day on a Wednesday, but all you're likely see are a lot of coffee drinkers and a bunch of beer delivery trucks. If you're planning on visiting any of the bars or restaurants there, early evening onward is the best bet, and if you can re-arrange things so you're there on Thursday or Friday evening, things will be a lot more lively.

Enjoy your stay!

B&J