We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help & Ideas needed

Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Help & Ideas needed

My husband just told me to look into visting Toronto over New Years - 30 Dec - 4 Jan. We have 2 children ages 16 & 12 years old and we usually like staying in Sheraton/Delta/Best Western hotels. I know we would like to go to the CN Tower, Hall of Fame, Niagara Falls, maybe a show. Recommendation for a nice family restaurant where we can have our new years eve meal and fire works there after. Please I need some advise and ideas because time is running out and I really dont know where to start. Thank you!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,409 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help & Ideas needed

Hi Luv2Go2C;

A north facing room at the Toronto Sheraton Centre will give you a front row seat to the New Years festivities at Nathan Phillips Square (aka New City Hall) fireworks and all !

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155019-d183085…

Not for New Years, the hockey buffs like a bite at Wayne Gretzky's restaurant, about a mile from the Hockey Hall of Fame.

http://www.gretzky.com/restaurant/

Niagara Falls is approx 80 miles / 130 km, an average drive of 1½ hours southwest of Toronto, without traffic delays.

Best Regards

Toronto
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help & Ideas needed

Your here for 5 days stay put in one place if you can. Do the CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame and the many other musuems and sites. Stickys at the top will give you that info. As for New Years Eve it can be expensive for dinner but if you are on vacation I would do the CN tower for that meal or the Harbour Castle, both will give you skyline views. Nathan's Philips Square usually has a free concert and fireworks on New Years Eve the kids will love it. Just a short walk from the Eaton''s Centre on the Queen St. side. Unfortunately it's too early to see the New Years eve pricing for meals but for the most part they are inflated. Wait a bit longer for that type of info in this economy who knows it may be ok.

Toronto
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help & Ideas needed

by the way don't go to Gretzky's total tourist trap the food is terrible and your money is better off elsewhere.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help & Ideas needed

At their age, they'll love Jack Astors on Front St (down the street from the Rogers Centre / CN Tower)

http://www.jackastors.com/

In that same block, Joe Badali's http://www.joebadalis.com

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help & Ideas needed

You mention Niagara Falls. There is the option to see fireworks and see an outdoor show: cliftonhill.com/niagara_falls_events/…

However, I think the Toronto Sheraton Ctr for New Years Eve is a safer idea... no concerns about travel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help & Ideas needed

A reply above mentions the CN Tower for dinner. While I like it there very much, the food being quite good for a tourist destination, I think that at this time of year into New Years is not the time for dinner and viewing a skyline as it will be dark at dinner time. You will only get to appreciate the lights of the city. Better to get a drink at the bar there first, maybe at 4:30 p.m., and see the views, then appreciate the night scene, and then leave to another good restaurant on the ground. The CN Tower Restaurant, The 360, is very expensive for a family as well.

For a nice family restaurant, that has a surprisingly nice upscale atmosphere and very reasonable pricing with quite good food, I often recommend, to tourists, the Pickle Barrel at Yonge and Dundas. Upstairs bar area, or, go downstairs to their diningroom. Afterwards you can walk around Yonge Dundas Squre and walk back to your hotel. The Pickle Barrel, while having a number of locations, is not a typical"chain type restaurant" as they are all corporately operated, been around for 40 years, and offer a high end atmosphere at very fair pricing. They constantly win "Best Family Restaurant" in Toronto by the tourist oriented "Where Magazine".

If not there , there are many other restaurants everywhere around you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help & Ideas needed

Pickle Barrel and Jack Astors aren't the best restaurants to eat when in Toronto because they don't highlight the multiculturalism of this city. I would highly recommend heading to Pho Hung. The food is excellent, offers a great selection and is great value for money. It's also frequented by locals and tourists, so it's not going to be a tourist trap. There are also great restaurants on Baldwin off of McCaul. Don't be afraid to head to Little Italy either for a nice meal or the Danforth.

About activities, your kids might be interested in the Ontario Science Centre. Plus there is Toronto Zoo.

Before you head to Toronto and once you're there, take a look at NOW Magazine and Eye Weekly to tell you what's happening. They have restaurant reviews, offer info for what to do with the family.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/

http://www.eyeweekly.com/

have a great time in Toronto!

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help & Ideas needed

RikiP, I love Pho Hung, but the Spadina location got slapped with a DineSafe yellow card last month for a whole bunch of violations - part of the recent crackdown in Chinatown on rat infestation. It's since been cleared as safe, but I think I'm going to take a break from there for a while.

Swatow, another one of my Chinatown favourites, got red-carded the same day.

(The Bloor St. Pho Hung location has passed every inspection in the last two years.)

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help & Ideas needed

Riki, I don't disagree with you about the lack of multiculturalism of J'Astors or Pickel B. However, if you have teenagers, which I do (who are just about those same ages), you will know they don't give a fig for multicultural. Worse still, if they're boyz (like mine), all they care about is how much is on the plate, and how fast can it get in their mouths. Taste and enthnicity are secondary to speed and blandness. (True Fact: It is a part of the teen physiology that at their ages, teen taste buds are the dullest they will be in their lives, hence the reliance on stuff like Kraft Dinner andd velveeta. That's part of why all the "foodies" are usually in their early 30's...that's about the time the taste buds are at their most discerning, and then 60+ they start to deteriorate again. See what you can learn on TA???) My experience with teens of that age is that they are about 2-5 years shy of being good candidates for real asian cooking.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help & Ideas needed

TO FLYINMOM,

I agree you are right on with your observations regarding teens eating habits, and I know that LUV2GO2C posted a similar topic on the Quebec City Forum and said her kids were a tad picky when it came to food.

Jack Astors, IMO is a good choice for teens. They like the food and the decor, and there is lots of choice for Mom & Dad, and the food isn't bland, it actually has some flavour. LOL

Cheers!

Wine-4-2