We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

authentic ethnic restaurants

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
authentic ethnic restaurants

I was just wondering of any good authentic ethnic restaurants in toronto... looking to get the great taste of the culture along with the atmosphere

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: authentic ethnic restaurants

Lol, you really have to be more specific about what type of food you seek.

www.nowtoronto.com/restaurants

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: authentic ethnic restaurants

Here's a handful of restaurants that generally feed their own people:

Ethiopian - Lalibela and a bunch of others around Bloor and Ossington.

Indian - a few in Little India: Lahore Tikka House, Kathmandu, Motimahal, Uduppi Palace...

Trinidadian Roti - Bachhus Roti on Queen in Parkdale

Jamaican - Albert's Real Jamaican at St. Clair and Vaughan (unfortunately not a sitdown place)

Vietnamese - Pho 88 on Spadina, MiMi's and Hanoi 3 Seasons on Gerrard east of Broadview, etc.

Chinese: gotta head north, WAY north, to Markham for the real, real deal. But there's some decent dim sum downtown - Sky Dragon at Spadina and Dundas, Forestview at Dundas and Huron, Rol San...

Cuban: Julie's Cuban on Dovercourt north of Queen.

Salvadoran: Tacos El Asador at Bloor and Clinton

Oh yeah. French is ethnic. Batifole is the most authentic neighbourhood French bistro.

Also check out the website of the Street Eats TV show: http://www.streeteatstv.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: authentic ethnic restaurants

Batifole is so authentic that I had horse tartare there. I didn't even know that was legal here! Not for everyone, of course...

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: authentic ethnic restaurants

There's also a slew of highly authentic Korean restaurants in the Bloor and Christie neighbourhood. Specific names escape me, but you can eyeball the ones that have a good crowd. Many of these have table grills where you cook your own food, which can be fun if you're in the mood. I've eaten at several of them with an assortment of Korean friends (i.e., from Korea, not Korean-Canadian) and they have attested to the general authenticity of these places. Just another option.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: authentic ethnic restaurants

Yum! Time for another visit to Batifole!

Horse is indeed available at a few select restaurants in Toronto, notably at La Palette (www.lapalette.ca), which sometimes has a "Quack and Track" special - horse tenderloin and duck confit served together.

toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: authentic ethnic restaurants

thank you very much for all the feedback... that is amazing... i dont really have any requirements for the food... want to try any and all types of ethnic foods....

all the feedback has been amazing... if you guys know of any more keep them coming...

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: authentic ethnic restaurants

My fav for "craving culture" is going up to Pacific Mall up in Markham. I always say it's as close to being in Asia as you can be without the killer air trip!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: authentic ethnic restaurants

There are so many ethnic restaurants in Toronto that the list is endless. Here are some of my favorites and very authentic ones:

Greek: Pantheon, in Greektown on the Danforth, constantly rated the best by my Greek born friends

French: Le Paradis, (I think the absolute best, authentic, and very reasonable)Davenport area, near Avenue Road

Jewish: United Bakery, Lawrence and Bathurst

Vietnamese: Pho Hung , Chinatown, Spadina north of Dundas

Italian: Sotto Sotto, Avenue Road Yorkville district

Lavecchia, Yonge and Eglinton, midtown

Bar Italia, College Street, Little Italy

Indian: Most Restaurants in Little India, Gerard West

Chinese: King Noodle, or Swatow, Spadina Chinatown,

Spadina and Dundas

Japanese: Asuka, Yorkville Ave., Yorkville district

English Pub Style: Duke of Kent, Yonge at Eglinton

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: authentic ethnic restaurants

one more, down to no utensils and freshly roasted coffee:

Addis Ababa

1184 Queen St. W. (at Beaconsfield Ave.)

416-538-0059

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: authentic ethnic restaurants

Swatow, Spadina Chinatown: one of several neighbourhood restaurants closed down for several days couple weeks ago due to health violations. It's never been authentic. (voted one of the worst restaurants on chowhound, btw)