We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few days in/around Toronto

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A few days in/around Toronto

Afternoon :)

We'll have about 3 days left over on our trip (after having already spent 4 days at Niagara) where we'll be arriving and leaving from Toronto Pearson Intl Airport.

I'm just looking for some suggestions to make these last 3 days really worth while, any ideas appreciated :)

My original idea was just to stop near the airport and day-trip each day but I think we might be able to do something better than that. We have at least 3 nights, and I dont mind driving around an hour max from the airport, if anyone can suggest any places that would be worth visiting? Fantastic views and photo opps are always good, but otherwise any attractions or places you think are worth seeing would be appreciated. Thanks for your help guys.

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few days in/around Toronto

Oh just to clarify - the dates are mid Feb this year.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few days in/around Toronto

Hi;

DO NOT stay near the airport as there is nothing near by of interest to a tourist, and traffic near the airport is terrible. Rush hour is approx. 6 am to 10 am and 3 pm to 7 pm. You will waste time and money commuting into downtown Toronto to see the sights, and parking downtown is very expensive. Also, you will find that the cost of a hotel will about the same downtown as near the airport.

Some sights to see;

• CN Tower – Over 1800 feet tall, and it has a glass floor !

http://www.cntower.ca

The Royal Ontario Museum – A world renowned museum

www.rom.on.ca

• The Art Gallery of Ontario– A world renowned art gallery that has just re-opened after a major addition !

www.ago.net

If you can tell us some of your interests we can assist you further.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A few days in/around Toronto

RescueTeam is right that around the airport is not a great place to stay unless you've got a flight early the next morning.

From your question, it almost sounds like you're expecting to do a lot of driving around the countryside. Are you looking for pristine natural beauty and quaint small towns?

If not, Toronto is the largest city in Canada, with the museums, shopping, etc. you'd expect as a result. It's easily explored on foot, so you wouldn't need to drive at all (and could even look into whether it's cheaper to return the rental car early).

I also wonder if you'll find four days a little long in Niagara, especially in winter.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few days in/around Toronto

CN Tower

Watch a Baseball Game at the Sky Dome

Red Lobster restraunt

There is a tour that you can do at Niagra Falls going in a boat under the falls.

Enjoy

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few days in/around Toronto

"There is a tour that you can do at Niagra Falls going in a boat under the falls."

Umm...not in February there isn't !

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few days in/around Toronto

Well, in Feb, you may want to concentrate on indoor activities. If you decide to stay near the airport, you can park for free at Yorkdale Mall and subway downtown (a bit of a pain though) There's the AGO, St. Lawrence Market, Bar hopping on Queen West or College West, The ROM, etc. It really depends on what interests you. Lots of photo ops here...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A few days in/around Toronto

Agreed with not staying near the airport...nothing to see or do.

As for baseball games, the season has not begun yet.

The suggestion to leave the car at Yorkdale is a good one. Taking the TTC, buy a day pass for 9.00 dollars and you'll have access to the entire streetcar, subway and bus system for the entire day. It's even better value if you're here for the weekend. For holidays and weekends, you and another adult can travel on one pass (you can also travel with several children on this pass). Great value and much less of a headache than parking and dealing with traffic in Toronto.

www3.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/…index.jsp

I agree about the weather being cold and staying indoors. As for what to see, I've heard really good things about the Art Gallery of Ontario as it has been rebuilt.

http://www.ago.net/

Plus if you like shopping there is PATH. It's a maze of underground tunnels connecting the subway to shops, office towers, restaurants and hotels. If you stay in a hotel that is connected to PATH you wouldn't even need to take your coat with you and you'd spend the entire day shopping.

http://www.toronto.ca/path/

Niagara region is fantastic as well and you can visit lots of wineries (Cave Springs in Jordan is one of my favourites). Four days in the Niagara regions isn't too long at all if you want to enjoy some outdoor activities as well.

As for what else to do in Toronto, the cold isn't at all that bad if you dress for the weather. It has been cold, but if you have a warm coat, dress in layers...plus, you can take in various neighbourhoods, but also get to know locals by sipping on a hot beverage or wine in one of the many countless pubs/restaurants in Toronto. If you like beer: C'est What is a great place to sit by their fire and enjoy a good meal after heading to St. Lawrence Market.

OR

Head to the Distillery District and browse through the shops and galleries there. They also have great restaurants, cafes and pubs. To get here, you will need to bundle up, although it's an easy 15-20 minute walk from St. Lawrence market.

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/

Hope this helps!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few days in/around Toronto

Hi Indigo404,

As the others have said, much of Niagara Falls great attractions (such as Maid of the Mist) are closed for the winter season.

If you are a big wine lover like me (hence my User Name) you'll have a wonderful time exploring the Niagara Wine Region in addition to Niagara Falls.

BUT, if you aren't a true wine lover... I must say that 4 days for the Region in the dead of winter is probably a long time (unless this is your honeymoon or you have something similar planned like a romantic getaway at an Inn or Spa for example).

So as a guideline of a minimum of 3 days in the Toronto area, I'd look at dumping the rental car and staying in the downtown area. Where you'll find tons of things to keep you busy, no matter what the weather.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few days in/around Toronto

Hi indigo404,

If you have kids (or enjoy interactive museums) you should check out the Ontario Science Centre http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca

Also - believe it or not, the Toronto Zoo is absolutely amazing in the winter - most of the exhibits are in pavillions, and it's a beautiful walk between them. It is about 1/2 hour drive from the airport, http://www.torontozoo.com

Also, you can visit Toronto's only castle, Casa Loma:

http://www.casaloma.org/

My husband and I adore the Niagara region - specifically the Beamsville and Jordan wine regions, which are about 1/2 an hour west of Niagara Falls. I would highly recommend the following wineries while you are there:

Niagara on the Lake:

Stratus, Coyote's Run, Southbrook, and Hillebrand just because they have a great restaurant

Jordan:

Tawse, Kacaba, and Ridgepoint for their cafe

Beamsville:

Thirty Bench, Fielding, Angel's Gate

and Hidden Bench

Hope this helps!

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few days in/around Toronto

Thank you for all your very helpful suggestions, I'm compiling a final list now.

I was just looking at the area around the airport (toronto pearson intl) on google maps and seeing if I could spot anywhere that looked like it might be worth stopping at, does anyone have any suggestions for anywhere worth stopping around Lake Simcoe or maybe further along the costline toward Oshawa?

Many thanks again, just checking all the options.