We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special night in Toronto - ideas?

Dublin
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Special night in Toronto - ideas?

I am planning a night in Toronto with my boyfriend in June. It will be signaling the last night in Canada after an 18 month stay (and by coincidence, our 8 year anniversary) and I would like it to be memorable. Does anyone have any ideas for a romantic/unique night in Toronto? We will be staying at the Drake hotel (thanks to Tripadvisor reviews!).

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special night in Toronto - ideas?

Tell us a bit more about your tastes and interests: luxe vs. hip, great views vs. intimate atmosphere, indoor vs. outdoor, etc. What kind of food are you interested in? What's your approximate budget? Etc.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,325 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special night in Toronto - ideas?

Hi;

I would suggest having dinner at the 360 Restaurant in the CN Tower. Book your seating for approx. 45 prior to sunset for some amazing views and for a truly memorable evening.

www.cntower.ca

Best Regards

Dublin
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special night in Toronto - ideas?

Thank you for your reply. We're laid back - low-key would be good. Budget would be mid-range probably. Flexible really.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special night in Toronto - ideas?

Ossington is the hot spot for restos right now, a nice little walk from the Drake.

Delux, Pizzaeria Libretto come to mind.

At King & Jarvis, Kultura restaurant, very nice.

Nota Bene @ Queen & University

Thuet @ King and Portland

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special night in Toronto - ideas?

FM is right, Ossington is hot. Delux is fantastic, but always packed. Make a reservation a few days in advance. Pizzeria Libretto? Not a place for a romantic dinner. They don't take reservations, and most of their seating is at long communal tables. Foxley is the other great place on Ossington (Asian fusion), but it too doesn't take reservations.

And Thuet, at Queen and Portland, is now called Bite Me. Monsieur Thuet is apparently trying to take advantage of King Street's clubby vibe.

Low-key romantic in June:

Start with afternoon on the Toronto Islands, end with drinks at the Rooftop Bar at the Park Hyatt. In between? So many options.

Sidecar on College St. is one place that's light on the wallet and yet has a romantic vibe. Great food, great service. www.sidecarrestaurant.ca

On Harbord St., the patio at the Boulevard Cafe is one of the nicest in the city.

Also, Loire is a great new French resto, just down the street from the Boulevard on Harbord. www.loirerestaurant.ca

How's that for a start?

Dublin
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special night in Toronto - ideas?

Wow- so many ideas! All sound great - will get reading now. Thank you!

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special night in Toronto - ideas?

Toronto has an abundance of great restaurants / areas, including the ones listed above. But I agree that for somethinng special, different and memorable, 360 at the CN Tower would be hard to, uh...top. I've eaten there a couple of times and, perhaps shockingly, it was quite good, i.e., not just a tourist trap. You could then head back to the Drake / Ossington area for drinks.

One word of caution about 360. As its name implies, it rotates. Very cool in that you get a view of the whole city and Lake Ontario that way, but maybe something to think about if you are especially susceptible to motion sickness. For most, the rotation is too gradual to have any effect, but I've heard the odd person remark that they didn't like the sensation. If you're not one of those "odd people", I'd enthusiastically second this recommendation.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,088 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Special night in Toronto - ideas?

Hello Lolly2,

Besides what has already been offered as far as suggestions to your question...and after thinking about your post, a few thoughts come to mind. One thing you might want to consider, is going to an area of the city called The Distillery District. It is lovely and would be perfect for your last night in the city. Check out this link to the Distillery District, and you should be able to tell if it is something that you would both enjoy.

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/

Also, not far from where you are staying at the Drake, is the Gladstone Hotel. They have a bar there and entertainment. It has a very laid back ambience, and just generally speaking it is a very interesting place with a lot of character. I am not certain what type of events they will have going on there in June, you may want to check out the website.

http://www.gladstonehotel.com/

You could also start out your special night by going to a spa late afternoon. The Elmwood Spa offers a lot of services, and they do have a number of packages for couples that include dinner at a nearby restaurant. It really is a beautiful and very relaxing place.

elmwoodspa.com/retreats/exotic_escape_for_tw…

Whatever you decide I hope you have a wonderful evening. All the best.

9. Re: Special night in Toronto - ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 00:19