We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

palmbeach
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

I am new to Toronto and I'm on a budget travel to spend couple of days in Toronto. Please suggest

1. What is the best place to stay at less than 50USD per night? near downtown and all attraction areas?

2. If I stay near Etobicoke, (OR) BRAMPTON , will I be able to drive my rental car and park near downtown areas ? How much does parking cost near downtown?

3.Is day tour recommended to tour Toronoto ? OR Can I drive by , park and visit all the places?

TIA

palmbeach

Toronto Bicycle Tours
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Zoom Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

pb

1. For less than US$50 per night, you'll want to look at lodging such as hostels and university residences. Those are at tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g155019-c3-Toronto_On…

2. I recommend not having a rental car. It's less hassle to simply stay downtown and walk/take public transit such as subway. Brampton is out near Pearson airport. Etobicoke is closer to downtown.

3. There's much to see and do in downtown Toronto. I suspect most people don't bother with tours.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

The money you'll spend on a rental car, gas and parking would be much better spent for a room downtown in my opinion. There are a couple of very highly rated hostels, or you could check out prices for your nights on expedia.ca which would give you an idea of what's available, or you could bid on a room through hotwire or priceline. If you're not too picky about exactly where you stay, I believe you can probably find a decent room downtown for that price.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

Picking up on one of Ktowntravllr's points, I just checked Hotwire.com and for a random weekend in April it's listing a 4-star hotel in "Downtown Toronto West" for US$52/night. Downtown West is your best bet, but Downtown East isn't bad either. Both are infinitely better choices for a tourist than Etobicoke or Brampton.

You can get downtown from the airport for $2.75 by public transit -- see tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-s301/Toronto:… . And you can get a day pass on public transit for $9, which is a lot less than you'd spend parking a rental car near the places you visit. (Parking downtown can run as high as $2 per half hour.)

There are "hop-on, hop-off" bus tours of the city, but I've always considered them overpriced. You can easily get everywhere on your own, and see more of the city doing it.

palmbeach
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

Hello ABtraveller, ktowntravllr & mattInTO

Thank you so much for all the info.

I plan to go to BUFFALO airport and take bus (greyhound or other ) to Toronoto. I wonder greyhound or any other bus from buffalo take me to hostels / economy hotels in toronto downtown west?..

Alternatively, I can rent a car from buffalo and drive to Toronto. How easy is driving in tororonto, same as USA? Does these downtown hotels charge for parking the car?

Thanks again for all the info

pb

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

Yes, you will be charged to park your car in Toronto, and it will be expensive. If you're traveling on a budget, the bus and then the TTC (public transit in Toronto) are your best bets.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

http://www.megabus.com/us/

These guys will get you from Buffalo airport to the Toronto Bus Terminal at Bay and Dundas. A taxi from there to pretty much anywhere in the downtown area is about $15.

When are you planning to visit? If it is after May, there are a few student residences in town that rent rooms for around USD$50 that would suit your needs.

…utoronto.ca/facilities/accommodations.htm

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

Sorry, you can also try these guys:

http://www.havinn.com/rates.html

Caledon, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

"Does these downtown hotels charge for parking the car?"

Hotels charge any where from $15 to $40 a day to park your car. Use public transit to get around the city.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

Coach Canada, which is part of the same corporate family as Megabus, also runs service from the Buffalo Airport to Toronto. Both are listed on the schedule here: coachcanada.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/116/Tor… .

Driving in Toronto isn't much different from the US. What's different from the Palm Beach area is that you don't need a car to get around -- public transit is an easy and safe way to explore the city. As others have said, renting and parking will be a much more expensive way to go.

Toronto
Level Contributor
786 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to Toronto,cananda - suggestion please....

Hi there;

You have received some excellent advice for those who responded to you. DO NOT rent a car. period. It is expensive as is gas and parking. You are better off using public transit (TTC) to take you anywhere and everywhere for very cheap safe and quick. Stay DOWNTOWN. The area is safe and fairly close together so it is even possible to walk to many destinations. There are some cheaper hotels available and because of the economy their rates have dropped. The Comfort Inn Downtown, The Howard Johnson Yorkville is old but very close to everything. Etobicoke and Brampton are way out from downtown. Brampton by public transit could take you 2 hours or more. Downtown Hotel, TTC, and you have it made. ENJOY.