We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

Some say through Erie, some say through Kingston. Please help!

And if you know of any interesting towns to visit around the mid point to stay the night PLEASE let me know :)

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

Snookies according to Expedia Maps there isn't a great deal of dfference between the shortest route and the quickest route.

1 Quickest route is 954 miles taking 14Hrs 47mins

2 Shortest route is 919 miles taking 15Hrs 49mins.

Don't know where you should stop off for the night however I'm sure some others should be able to help.

Jim

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

Thanks Jim. Mapquest just wont map out going through Kingston so maybe I will just avoid that route lol!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,185 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

Hi snookies1;

If you look at a map of southern Ontario you will see that when driving towards Kingston that you are travelling not only east but slightly north as well.

The route through Buffalo, Erie, Pittsburgh would be the one you want.

Best Regards

toronto
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

hey snookie,

we drove down to myrtle beach last summer ( approx 16 hr drive from TO) and went through buffalo, then into pennsylvania state, down to maryland..the main route we took was on the I-95 which if I remember right takes you down to myrtle beach...we stopped about midway down in hagerstown, MD. You will find several rest spots along the way with hotel info...we did the trip in two days. It was scenic but very tiring as well so you may want to have more than one driver..

enjoy your trip!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

Hi Snookies1,

LOL, I gave up on MapQuest a long time ago, I find GOOGLE MAPS far more flexible when plotting out a route etc.

I asked GOOGLE to plot me a route from Toronto to Myrtle Beach, and it's first choice is thru Buffalo... Then WEST on the I-90 until it is joined up by the I-79 SOUTH. The I-79 feeds into the I-77 and directly into Myrtle Beach. Distance 1508 Km, Driving Time 15:47 Hours.

Then I got GOOGLE to plot a route from Toronto via Buffalo across the NY Thruway (I-90) EAST to Syracuse, then I-81 to the I-95 and SOUTH to Myrtle Beach. The result is a Distance of about 1761 Km, and a Driving Time of aprox 18 Hours.

The same route using Toronto, Kingston and crossing at the 1000 Island Bridge to the I-81 and onto Syracuse and beyond GOOGLE reports is over 1800 Km and a Driving Time of aprox 18:45 Hours.

So, it looks like indeed GOOGLE MAP's Default Program is right... via Buffalo and the Pittsburgh.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

Ooops,

I should have also stated that the Driving Times... are just that for Driving... they don't account for things like meal stops, p-breaks, gas, construction or traffic.

The Buffalo Pittsburgh Route may very well be shorter, but you'll have to time it so that you don't hit the BIG Cities during rush hours... Toronto, Buffalo & Pittsburgh.

Have a great trip.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Now that we have the route worked out... you might want to figure out the logistics (ie leave Toronto at ___ and Drive x Amount of Hours and stop overnight). By giving us these numbers we'll be able to help you find a spot for your layover.

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

Thanks so much for the awsome replies! We are travelling with two kids (6 and 2). We will be leaving (hopefully) around 8:30am. I would like my first stop to be lunch (around 11:30/12pm). I would also like to do 10 hours day one. I was thinking we could hopefully make it down to Princeton/Bluefield in West Virginia by 9pm. Is this realistic? Then we would only have 8 hours the next day and hopefully make it to Myrtle beach by 5pm.

Thanks again!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,185 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

Hi;

I would figure lunch in / around Erie PA.

Princeton/Bluefield for the night, about 9 pm sounds right.

Best Regards

9. Re: What is the fastest route to drive to Myrtle Beach from TO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 09:22