We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire and Parking

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire and Parking

Hi All,

I have to questions oen for me and one for my work colleague!!

I will start with his question - he is going to Michigan for a few days to see friends then hiring a car and driving to Niagara Falls and Toronto. As he won't need the car whilst in Toronto (better to use public transport)are there any hotels with cheap parking that would be in a good location for getting about or any hotels near public parking? (sory that's 2 questions!)

My question - I was going to catch the bus to Niagara when I come over in August but have decided it might be nicer to hire a car and come and go as we please for the day (thinking of going down to NOTL as well). Is it advisable to hire a car from the city centre? We will be staying at the Sheraton Centre - or better to get something a bit further out? I am thinking of the traffic really - it' bad enough it's on the other side of the road for us!!

Thanks guys

Sarah

Toronto
Level Contributor
786 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire and Parking

Sarah;

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as cheap parking in Toronto anymore especially downtown. You can expect to pay around $30. per day if not more in a hotel underground parking lot.

The Sheraton Centre is a nice hotel in a great area, right across from City Hall. It is not too far from the Gardiner Expressway which is the main roadway you need to be on to get to NOTL. In that regard that should not be a problem. I would not stay anywhere outside of the downtown core and you should be pleased with the Sheraton Centre Hotel. You might be able to get a package deal including parking. The City Hall parking lot across the street is used by guests and is underground and will probably have the best parking rates in the downtown area. Perhaps $25. per day or so. ENJOY.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire and Parking

1) For your friend; make sure he has checked with the rental agency that they will allow the car to be taken over the border into Canada. Will he be driving back to Michigan, or leaving the car in Toronto? If leaving the car, he should be prepared to pay heavy drop fees. As the previous poster mentioned, all hotels in the city centre charge outrageous parking fees, as in any other big city -the public parking across from The Sheraton Centre would be an option for your friend.

2)Yes, do rent a car to go to Niagara. It is nice to be on your own schedule. Rent from the city, it's not worth renting "a bit further out" as you'd have to find transportation to get to the rental location!

Traffic leaving the city is not that bad in the mornings; you'll be against the traffic as most people are coming into the city. Do not try to leave Toronto between 3-6:30 p.m. as that is rush hour.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire and Parking

Hi Sarahms,

Great advice so far, and I agree with the others do rent a car so you have the freedom of getting about (Niagara on your own time schedule is great).

I see you've expressed an interest in NOTL, so I'm assuming you've done some reading... in which case I would suggest that you look at overnighting in the region (NF, NOTL or elsewehere)... NOTL is known for its Country Inns & B&Bs, but they can be a bit pricey... NF's also pricey, but you can find a deal. Outskirts are cheaper (like Ste Catherines), but still near wine country.

By having an overnight, you'll be to really get to see the whole region and NF both in the daylight and at night (like day and night, LOL). And you'll be able to have a great meal, relax etc. Plus you'll probably find like so many others that once you've been to NOTL you might just fall in love, and regret having planned only a few hours there (Wineries, Fine Dining, Pubs, Shopping, Galleries, Theatre, Historic Sites etc).

If you are considering an overnight plan to leave Downtown TO in the AM and return in the PM (travelling against the general flow of traffic). This will give you the optimum amount of time to enjoy all that the Niagara Region has to offer.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... For more ideas see the NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE TA Pages.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire and Parking

Thanks everyone for your advice - I suppose I was just a bit nervous about picking up a car in the city centre - when we went to Boston we hired from the airport as it was straight onto the Interstate to go south and the roads in the city centre were a nightmare!! Advantage there was that the airport is only a couple of miles from the city so it was quick to get there and back.

Neil, my colleague is driving back to Michigan and after reading previous posts her I had already warned him to check he was OK taking the hire car from the US to Canada - it seems the bigger companies are fine so he is sticking to them.

I am sure I will have lots of other questions before I arrive in August but I will let you know how I get on with the car.

Thanks again!

Sarah x

5. Re: Car Hire and Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2009, 06:24